Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Snooties and Snakes

Today's Tracking via GPS and Ham Radio

I haven't been on the bike in like THREE days now and this morning I got up with blood glucose testing above 200.  I'm sure this has nothing to do with the ice cream and cake I forced down last night during a grandson's 17th birthday.  Even after a couple of boluses with the insulin pump it was still too high, so I skipped breakfast entirely and took off for a ride, which usually drives my BG down quite nicely.
Jacque was home, so I thought I'd sneak out and do a solo ride without any faithful doggie passengers.
Not so fast..... Tink hates to be left behind.  And she's only, what, 6 pounds or so?  So it's not like I'm really saving any time or effort trying to desert her. 
We again took the old beat-up recumbent 2-wheeler with the fantastic new right hand shifter and it did great.
We didn't forget the GoPro camera again today and got a couple of minor videos....
First we passed "One of THOSE" cyclists who cannot be bothered with mere mortal passersby on odd looking bikes.

I've encountered this unfriendly fellow several times in the past and he either ignores me or does a quick glance and then ignores.  No biggie.  Bicyclists come in all shapes and sizes and.... attitudes.
By the time we got to our ~5 mile halfway turnaround point, my blood sugar had dropped below 100, which is a wonderful thing.  We'll see how it holds out the rest of the day.
As we began the return leg for home, within 100 yards or so we encountered a victim of hit-and-run...
At least Jacque will be partially satisfied with this kind of snake..... dead, that is.  He was a fatty with a very rattlesnake-looking pattern on his back but was obviously one of our popular copycat bull-snakes that somehow manage to imitate a rattler's looks except for the head shape. And lack of rattle buttons.
On the way crawling up the last-mile of goat-path toward home, my new shifter "found" a new gear.... NOTHING.  It shifted the chain so far it popped off the inside of the cassette's largest gear, forcing a stop and a quick retrieval of the chain with the invaluable multi-tool.  Hopefully I can adjust the screw stops on the derailleur to prevent that from happening again.

Ride Started: 8:56 AM    Ride Ended:  11:08 AM
Beginning Battery Voltage:   13.9   Ending Voltage: 13.2  Lowest:  13.1
Lowest Temp  75 F      Highest Temp:  84 F 
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  10.57
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
  5.5 MPH                              7.2 MPH                   32.2 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
1 hour 55 mins                      1 hour 28 minutes       28  minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment