Sunday, October 2, 2016

A Bicycle Ride is Not a Big Deal

Today's No Big Deal Tracking via APRS and Ham Radio
This ride took place yesterday, and I'm only just now blogging it as LDS General Conference is unfolding on the Roku-assisted TV screen.
I was (as usual) running low on time last night and needing to flop and get some sleep. I hadn't blogged about the latest bike ride and was considering just skipping it [again].
I thought to myself "After all, a bicycle ride is no big deal" but this thought congealed in my muddy brain as a title for a blog entry.  So here goes again.
Saturday, yesterday, was a full day for LDS General Conference, 2-hour sessions starting with  the first 10 AM session, the 2:00 PM session, and the Priesthood session at 6 PM.
I watched the first session with Jacque and then hit the road, hoping to not miss too much of the 2:00 afternoon session.  I almost made it.
Since it was Saturday, I was able to do a 10-miler.  It's not a new route but it never stops being a great loop to ride.  And, as usual, I rode swiftly away without my GoPro camera.  I had actually put a fresh battery in it to make sure it would perform well, and still forgot to take it out to the bike with me.  At least it gets less wear and tear that way...    BAH
This fall weather is perfect for riding.  Even later in the day when the sun is high it seldom tops 80 degrees.
The wind was, at first, a bit off-putting but it turned out to not be bad at all.  It only slowed me down for a few minutes at a time once or twice during the ride.
When I stopped for s short water break I noticed my chain had jumped off the lower idler pulley.  I hadn't noticed anything unusual until this.
A short twist of the wrist with the pocket multi-tool cured this minor difficulty.

Now, a short listing of reasons why riding a bike is no Big Deal:
-It doesn't take much time out of your life
-Studies actually point to gaining extended life from the times dedicated to exercise
-A few moments or hours of enjoyment and exposure to nature is certainly No Big Deal
-Feeling like a million bucks after cooling off from a ride is No Big Deal
-Lowered blood glucose the rest of the day is No Big Deal
-Having a low pulse rate from regular riding is No Big Deal
-Feeling the wind in your face while under your own power zipping down the road is No Big Deal
-Etc.

Ride Started: 12:43 PM    Ride Ended:  2:03 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:   14.2   Ending Voltage: 12.7  Lowest:  12.7
Lowest Temp  75 F      Highest Temp:  87 F  
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  10.37
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
   7.2 MPH                             8.1 MPH                   29.5 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
1 hour 26 mins                      1 hour 16 mins          10 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment