Saturday, October 29, 2016

TORA TORA TORA (Trike On Road Again)

Today's 12-Mile Tracking

I started the day's publicly acceptable activities by splitting a large log section with my sore-back-generating hand maul splitter.  Then I ran the chainsaw cutting down some more juniper trees for next year's wood stockpile, and after a bit of this I was bushed.  I hauled the split wood up to my full-cord wood crib next to the front porch and then had to sit down and rest and drink unleaded root beer, meaning diet.
I was still bushed after resting a while  but - having skipped riding yesterday - wanted to ride at least a few miles in futile attempts to keep my belly back behind my belt where it belongs.  My back was really talking to me after swinging that maul but I thought perhaps the reclining seat of the recumbent trike would help the old backbone and butt to relax.
I loaded the new-used Catrike into the trailer and hauled it down to the pavement and took off.  First I rode west up the hill to the Post Office, figuring if I was too worn out from woodcutting I would call it quits after that short ride.  This Catrike is much lighter than any other 2- or 3- wheeler I've previously ridden and, coupled with its easy-shifting 27 gear combinations, it's much easier to pull long hills and such.  It's a little squirrely at speed since it has very touchy steering with lots of oversteer but that's supposedly very common with short trikes.  I'm getting better at the "lighter touch" on the steering handles and really like the ride.
My back didn't get any better on the ride to the PO and back, but it didn't hurt any worse either, and I decided to keep on riding farther east to do my "normal loop" of about 10 miles in addition to the Post Office trip.  The wind was kicking up a bit but it wasn't terrible and did not interfere with a very enjoyable ride.

Ride Started: 12:22 PM    Ride Ended:  2:36 PM
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  13.0
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
 7.6 MPH                               8.0 MPH                   32.1 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
2 hours 14 mins                    1 hour 42 mins           31 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment