Saturday, November 12, 2016

Me, Myself, and a Dog Named ... Lilly

Today's East Mountain Tracking

I thought I had me a title to a song there for a minute, but it didn't play out.
Today involved a Ham Radio Swapmeet at the Intel Parking lot in Rio Rancho.  I didn't have anything to sell or buy but the main reason I went was to meet up with the fellow who sold me my Catrike back in August: He had found a fairing for the trike he had never installed and wanted to give it to me! Whoo-Hooo....
It turned out to be surprisingly small but it's cute.
I found it had only a simple bracket and a couple hose clamps to tie it down with, and surprisingly enough, it actually fit the bike without modification.  It looks too tight to allow feet to clear while pedaling but it works fine, although I think I will add some extenders eventually to increase clearance for my big feet and different size shoes I occasionally wear.
It only took maybe half an hour to get it satisfactorily mounted.  Of course I had to take it for a ride to see how it felt.  I didn't really notice a whole lot of difference, but it does seem to deflect some of the headwind out of my face & feet, though I didn't notice any radical improvement in average (or otherwise) speeds.
I note from the GPS speeds that I may have picked up a wee bit of speed with this widget.  Time and future rides will tell.



I've often wanted to try a fairing or windshield on my other bikes but they are normally super expensive, unless you buy your own plexiglass sheet and fab your own.  This is a real treat to get this one.  Such a Deal.
Lilly seemed to like it too, since she rides strapped to my chest in a papoose-liked harness.  Going down hills with a stiff breeze in the face normally overrides her doggie enjoyment of wind-in-the-face, and now with the fairing in place she tends to duck her head ever so slightly to hide below the slipstream off the fairing.

Ride Started: 2:17 PM    Ride Ended:  3:39 PM
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  9.42
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
 6.28 MPH                               7.6 MPH                   30.25 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
1 hour 22 mins                      1 hour 11 mins            11 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment