Thursday, November 10, 2016

Thursday's Cool Ridings

Today's Cool Track

The only progress I made on my full-cord wood crib was to sort and stack the wood already thrown inside.  I want the wood tightly stacked so I can claim it as an accurate cord of wood.

By the time I got that organized it was getting on into the afternoon.  I wanted to get in a trike ride before exhausting myself chainsawing up more wood, so I layered up and loaded up the Catrike into the trailer and hauled it down to the pavement.
It had been sunny most of the day and not bitterly cold but it wasn't very warm either.  When I got saddled up and riding I was glad I had put on the long sleeved wicking body-shirt since I never got overheated at all and actually got cold  in a few areas, especially my feet.  I wore leather shoes today to help ward off the cold feet and thankfully so.
I decided to try a route up hill and down dale that I haven't ridden in quite a while, around Vallecitos to old Route 66 and then at Zuzax getting on the north side of the frontage road - over to Gutierrez Canyon road and back north on that less-traveled road to Frost, not far from whence I started from.
The hills are much steeper on this route, and I was soon reminded why I don't ride it much.  The road surfaces for a few miles are extremely rough with either narrow or NO shoulders, making it frustrating for passing motorists.  Since I had started so late, too close to 5 PM, there was considerable going-home traffic to dodge.  But, as usual, it was a fun ride anyway.
I ran low on blood glucose about halfway around the mountain, and had to dig into my stash of chocolate chip oatmeal bars.  They were so old they were barely edible.  The first one was easily digested but the second one I dug out of my pannier was so old and hard and dry it was like chewing  a stick of wood.  I was finally able to get it chewed up and down the hatch, but I'm going to dig through my bags and panniers and throw 'em out if they are more than a couple months old.  The wrapper keeps them safe but too many months really takes the appeal out of 'em.
By the time I got back to the exploder and trailer, it was close to dark-thirty and even colder.  Maybe I'll finish filling the wood crib sometime next week.  Hopefully the snow won't be too deep by then :O)

Ride Started: 2:32 PM    Ride Ended:  4:29 PM
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  12.17
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
 5.8 MPH                               6.8 MPH                   33.3 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
1 hour 57 mins                      1 hour 47 mins            10 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment