Friday, April 6, 2018

Old Geezer Riding Old Route 66

Today's straight-along-66 Tracking



Finally.  I got in a decent ride consisting of more than a couple miles or so today.
I decided I could ride old Route 66 from here at Sedillo Hill to Edgewood to pick up a couple minor items at Walgreens.  I got going fairly early and got home fairly late.  Nothing new here....
All cyclists, including yours truly, are continually amazed at the oddball trash, junk, and whatnot scattered in the shoulders and weeds and trees alongside all roads.  It's as though humans are just fundamentally reluctant to put their trash in proper containers or stop, go back, and retrieve something that fell off the back of the truck, so to speak.  There's always, of course, "normal" items such as beer cans, hubcaps, bits and pieces of tires.... but lumber?  Odd bits of building materials?  Lampshades in seemingly usable condition?  I do realize that we sometimes lose items from speeding vehicles without realizing it.  I recall many years ago finding an upside down wooden chair, with only minor scratches, lying in the middle of a country road.  We took it home and used it for many years, with no possible way of tracking down the owner.
One thing I've developed a habit of is - since I'm so low to the ground and can reach the ground underneath me without bending over - picking up rocks and other detritus in the roads and shoulders and throwing them way off the roadside so neither myself nor others have to dodge them in the future.  In the rocky roads of SW Arizona, it's a hopeless task throwing offending rocks out of the roadway, but I cannot resist the temptation to heave as many as I can off the roadway, often without slowing down, and often resulting in minor scrapes and damaged fingernails.  Jacque despairs that I will ever develop good sense.....
About halfway to Edgewood I departed the pavement of 66 and rode over to my daughter Sarah's house both for a break and a visit.  Enjoyed a few minutes visiting with my eldest son John and only a few moments visiting with Sarah's hubby and my grandson Jonathan as they pulled in just as I was saddling up  to go along my way.
So, most of my Friday is shot but at least I got in some decent aerobic huffing and puffing.

Ride Started: 11:16 AM    Ride Ended:  2:28 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:   12.9   Ending Voltage: 12.9  Lowest:  12.9
Beginning Blood Glucose:  130      Ending BG: 58 (Kinda spacey at this point) 
Lowest Temp  61 F      Highest Temp: 71 F   
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  12.86 
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed  
5.6 MPH                                 6.6 MPH                     34.5 MPH 
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time 
2 hours 18 mins                     1 hour 56 mins           22 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment