Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Generous Rednecks

Today's Tracking.

WAIT.  There's More.  Well, a little bit, anyway.
Jacque again decided to ride her trike this morning, so we did the usual haul'em down to the junction of TN-68 and TN-27 so we could safely ride the wonderful wide shoulders along 27 towards Dayton.
Jacque keeps riding farther each time, which means I'm going to have to lengthen my stride so our arrival and departure times can occur more closely.  Today when I rode out my usual 5+ mile stretch and turned around, there was Jacque and the doggies, not that far behind me.  When we met up on the return leg going back toward the parked Ford Exploder, we stopped together to take a break and walk the dogs, who were getting restless from being confined to their respective baskets on the back of Jacque's Catrike .
As we returned from walking the dogs, a car pulled over and parked in front of us.  Obviously an interested passer-by, he asked permission to photograph Jacque and the dogs on the trike.  We told him no problem, and Jacque posed prettily for several snapshots.  I suppose we could make a bit of extra spending money if we suggested a "Voluntary Donation" for each desired photo.
He also expressed interest in my rigging, but since I'm not as pretty as Jacque and had  no doggies on board with me, I only rated a single shot before he drove away, expressing thanks.
I rode on back to the parked trike-hauler vehicle, arriving 15 to 20 minutes ahead of the 3 females.
I had been noticing a bit of near-dead battery in the Ford the last few days, and thinking to crank it up and have it cool and charging by the time Jacque arrived, I gave the ignition keys a twist and.... BRRonk. Urg.  erg.  click-click-click....
Drat and blast and all those other substitutes for effective swear words.  I thought maybe letting it sit idle waiting for Jacque to show up might allow some surface charge to invigorate the battery enough to get it started, but when she arrived... Still nothing doing.
I dug out our jumper cables and since we were parked quite close to the road, I started waving the jumper cables at vehicles when they slowed down for the turn or stop sign.  It took all of several minutes, when suddenly one of our RV park neighbors pulled up, noticed it was us, and turned in to our parking spot.  Right behind them was a Tennessee pickup truck wanting to know if he could help.
I already had the cables hooked up to our friendly neighbor's car so I thanked the pickup driver and waved him on.  Several minutes later another van pulled in and asked if we got it started.  The driver apologized for not stopping earlier and explained he had just delivered his wife to an appointment and came back to check on us.  Our weak battery was already charged up and the A/C already running cool so we thanked HIM and sent him on his way.
Now we're safely back in the RV park and a neighbor RV lady wants help with her propane hookup and her awning..... time for us to step up and pay it forward for the great help WE'VE already received this day.  Later today.... Brand New Battery Time for the Ford.
On another Scientific Development Front, I've found that mounting my Iphone on a 20 foot pole and hoisting it high in the air with HotSpot enabled results in a very acceptable wifi connection.
The main drawback to this wonderful discovery is that in the sunlight and heat of the day, the iphone will shut itself off with an over-temperature alarm within a few minutes.  I was trying to think of a way to:
(1) protect it from possible rain.  I have put both a red bucket and a Ziplok sandwich bag upside down over the phone and, while keeping out the rain, the heating makes it shut down even faster.
(2) protect from heat and sunlight absorption?  I finally hit on the idea of using a large white plastic fountain soda cup for a shield.  We bought a couple at the 7-11 just yesterday..... BLAST, we must have already thrown them in the trash.  On this morning's ride I started noticing all the discarded soda cups along the road shoulder and merely waited until I found one suitable for my choosing.  So far it works great.  It was already washed clean from rain, no cracks or holes, and the price was... priceless.

Ride Started:  9:02 AM    Ride Ended:  10:37 AM
Beginning Battery Voltage:   13.0 Ending Voltage: 12.9  Lowest:  12.3
Beginning Blood Glucose:  130     Ending BG: 66  
(Ate before riding;   insulin pump basal rate 85% for this ride)
Lowest Temp  71 F      Highest Temp: 75 F   
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  11.07
Distance Walked: .4 miles 
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed  
7.4 MPH                                  8.12 MPH                     17.3 MPH 
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time 
1 hour 35 mins                      1 hour  17 mins          20 minutes

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jim! Great meeting you "on the Road" this morning. I browsed thru ur blog and saw where you mentioned me in an earlier blog. That lady jogging ( running much faster than me) is my daughter. She had luekemia when she was 6 years old and now married with 2 children wants to train for and run St Jude marathon in December. Me, I have ran several marathons and ultra marathons in the past and she drug the old man out for training support. However, I have scolded her for leaving dear old Dad for dead out on the open road! Lol. It's a great blessing to see her able to run like this! Sorry to hear you guys leaving TN, I thought later I should have asked you how you liked the humidity compared to NM? Lol. I run M-W-F most weeks. Take care and God Bless!

    Larry "Snake" Lyda
    WA4PJP

    ps I have an old blog Run with the Snake

    And a youtube channel Backtothefutureradios ( vintage restoration)

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://runwiththesnake.blogspot.com

    www.youtube.com/user/ninesnake

    ReplyDelete