Saturday, September 29, 2018

It's Saturday, Must be New Mexico

We arrived back in NM Thursday afternoon, after departing Amarillo about 9 AM the same day.
The weather has been nice & dry here.  The Tennessee Daughter Jess tells us it has rained buckets there since we left, so the relative aridity has been nice.
And here it is Saturday and I'm itching to ride so I finally saddled up to take a bit of a ride.  Aren't you proud of me, dear reader?  Never Mind......
It was 44 degrees this morning, and it felt COLD, especially as compared to sub tropical Tennessee.
I slathered up with sun-block since the atmosphere is clearer and at 6500+ feet altitude the insolation is higher than we've experienced in the last few months.
But, by the time I finally got saddled up to ride away, it was already in the 60's and I did not have to layer up with the windbreaker I carry in the big pannier next to the LiFePO4 electronics battery and a bunch of other stuff I dare not leave home without.
I decided to ride over and see my closest grandson Jonathan, which is only a few miles from where our RV is currently parked.  Route 66 is the linking passage between us and has a fairly wide shoulder most of the way.  From our perch on Sedillo Hill to the Barton Valley where young Jon resides with his parents is mostly downhill so that direction was a fairly easy ride and even required some mild braking action to maintain stability.  I thought to myself "We'll see how much fun it's going to be coming UP that hill on the way back."
Had a great visit with Jonathan and parents, even being fed a tasty Orange Cinnamon Roll.  Jon is only 3+ years old but is a big talker now.  He used to be a very strict Mama's Boy but today he came outside - ALONE with Grandpa - to look at Grandpa's Trike He  Rode In On.  He even sat in Grandpa's lap in the trike seat but decided he DIDN'T want to actually go for a ride.  Fun Guy.
After a few more howdy-doos, I saddled up and rode back up hill to "home".... the parked RV.
The uphill ride was less of a struggle than I had anticipated.  Guess I haven't 'lost my legs' yet.

Ride Started:  8:32 AM    Ride Ended:  10:29 AM
Beginning Blood Glucose:  146     Ending BG: 77 (Orange Roll Consumed at Grandson's)  
(Ate Breakfast before riding;   insulin pump basal rate 50% for this ride)
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  7.94
Distance Walked: .7 miles 
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed  
3.5 MPH                                  6.0 MPH                     31.8 MPH 
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time 
1 hours 57 mins                     1 hour  8 mins             48 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment