Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Balmy Christmas Eve

Today's Plotted Route

Again it has been too long without riding around on the trike.
I was mildly surprised a few days ago.  During my last doctor visit I received a sheet of exercises for stretching my back muscles in hopes of strengthening my back to relieve lower back and leg pains.
I don't do them often enough, like most beneficial things I'm supposed to be doing.   A few days ago I noticed a small footnote at the bottom of the page mentioning additional activities that would help including "Stationary Cycling for 20 minutes".  Stationary?  I don't THINK so.
So I should have additional motivation for riding other than keeping the blood glucose lower and pure enjoyment.
My days have of course been largely spent ripping up old linoleum tile flooring, scraping the floorboards underneath, and laying new flooring.  Which turns out to be good carb burning exertion but not all that enjoyable, and I have to stop and rest my feet every 15-20 minutes or so.   Thus, you see, progress is slow.  I'd like to ride every day the weather isn't sloppy, but I often putz around doing all sorts of odd errands and suddenly it's late in the afternoon.  Here at winter's solstice, that means if it's after 4:00 PM I don't have time to get in a decent ride before the sun goes down.  Another day shot without a trike ride.  Ah Well.  Thus is Life in the Slow Lane.
I wasted too much time again today but finally decided to stop my floor scraping early enough to ride up to Walmart for a couple of odd items, just for an excuse to ride.
And, after the usual several false starts and last minute potty breaks, I got going.
Christmas eve 2019 and the weather has been, and is forecast to be, sunny and balmy for the several days involving Christmas.  I wore open toed sandals for the ride and only one of my yellow tee shirts for today's ride and did NOT get chilled in any fashion.  Evidently we had a high of 64 degrees today and it wasn't cooled off much when I did my ride.  All this after a week of freezing temperatures and ice storms.  I DO NOT complain about nice weather, even if it seems out of time and place.
No youngsters on small bikes were out and about today, so I didn't wear myself out trying to prove my manhood keeping up with them.
Arrived at Walmart safe and sound, and what do I see?  A group of merry gentlemen I actually know:  Goodly Guys I usually see at Church meetings.  I can't mention their names, but their initials could be Richardson and Parker.  When I hailed them with a "Merry Christmas", they all laughed aloud at the concept of Christmas in such warm weather. 
Finished shopping for my 2 containers of nuts and returned home.
Mission Accomplished.
(P.S. :  Stay tuned.  We'll likely have the coldest winter on record in addition to the warmest:
IN THE SAME WINTER

Ride Started:    3:00 PM      Ride Ended:  3:55 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.0  Ending Battery Voltage:  12.9   Lowest Voltage:  12.9
Beginning Blood Glucose:  67      Ending BG: 66
Lowest Temp:  59 F    Highest Temp:  61  F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:   5.32
Distance Walked: .7 mile
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
  5.8 
MPH                             7.0 MPH               15.8 MPH 
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped  Time
 55 minutes
                          46 minutes           9 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment