Thursday, December 5, 2019

Grocery Run

Today's Cloudy Route

I actually got in a few miles pedaling the trike today, instead of the more recently-usual less than 2 miles.
I'd planned to ride up to Ace Hardware for some caulking cartridge caps, that seal and keep fresh a tube of silicone or other caulking gun-activated goop.  Having tried various big box stores including Home Depot in Springfield, Ace Hardware here locally was about the only place left unsearched for such handy items.  I'd bought a couple SOMEWHERE  recently but since I have more than two tubes needing caps, I wanted more. 
Jacque also needed some coleslaw from the grocery so I agreed to pick some up on my way across town.
We have a brand new "CHC" home center here, and my route today took me past there, so I stopped there first to see if they had any.  Nice store, lots of good stuff, but no goop-saving caps to be had.
I'm beginning to wonder if most stores fail to sell such caps in hopes of more replacement goop-tubes to be sold when partially used ones dry up early.
On northward to Ace.  This is about the best-equipped hardware store for miles around.  They indeed had the desired caps in stock as well as some replacement blades for my jigsaw.
Then, a quick stop at the Walmart right next to Ace, for a bag of coleslaw.
The day had started out mostly bright and sunny but as I headed south for home the clouds began covering the sun and it started cooling off noticeably.  Still,  I opened a couple more snaps on my shirt to cool down a bit more while climbing the little hills along the way.
When I crossed the bridge over Route 60, a Camaro passed me with his passenger window open and I heard the driver holler something at me, but I didn't hear well enough to tell if he was trying to be encouraging or derogatory.  Since I couldn't tell I am forced to assume it was encouraging, like almost everyone else I've encountered.  The worst comments I hear, though well intended, are similar to "Hope nobody runs over you on that thing."  This in spite of the tall flags, blinky lights, and such.  Invariably, drivers give us WIDE berths when passing and often slow down and follow us slowly for long distances instead of passing in a big hurry.

Ride Started:    2:00 PM      Ride Ended:  3:10 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.0  Ending Battery Voltage:  12.9   Lowest Voltage:  12.9
Beginning Blood Glucose:  110      Ending BG: 60
Lowest Temp:  60 F    Highest Temp:  62  F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:   5.7
Distance Walked: .7 mile
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
  4.9 
MPH                             6.9 MPH               19.7 MPH 
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped  Time
  1 hour 10 mins
                   50 minutes           21 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment