Saturday, January 4, 2020

Cold - But I Gotta Ride

Today's short and very cold route

The last 2 days I rode the trike - last year (?) - I slept quite well during those nights.
I have had trouble getting more than a few intermittent hours sleep ever since moving to Missouri, and I have ridden longer distances before without noticing any benefit to my lousy sleep.
BUT:  Since the year 2020 began, with me not riding, I have had spotty sleeping again, as usual.
Thus my motivation for stopping my eternal remodeling for the day and getting on the trike again.
(I did add a second coat of paint to the master bathroom today).
As usual, by the time I got going, it was already 4:30 and sundown would be here in half an hour.
Thus I had to get rolling, so I did.
I rode down another couple of streets not explored  before, and didn't get lost or dog  bit, so life is still good.
It WAS very cold, though the sun had been bright all day today - with a chilling breeze. 
The weather was bright with clear sunshine but the sun is way too low on the horizon to generate much heat this time of year.
The forecast called for a high of 42 and with the stiff breeze it was not very comfortable.  I wore only a warming jacket at first, with my Jacque-built fleece skull cap, and hunting mittens.  I quickly got chilled at about the first mile mark and ;pulled into the empty Senior Center parking lot to dig out another jacket layer.  My visible-yellow windbreaker is very light but does a good job as an outer layer and it helped the situation immensely.
I need to find my "real" leather shoes, since my feet are getting a bit too cold with my Z-Coil tennis shoes which have mesh vents that are normally wonderful but allowing too much cold air leakage nowadays.
Made it home a few moments before the sun sank in the west and had time to split up a load of black walnut firewood for the shop stove.

Ride Started:   4:30 PM      Ride Ended:  5:00 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.5  Ending Battery Voltage:  12.9   Lowest Voltage:  12.4
Beginning Blood Glucose:  146      Ending BG: 144
Lowest Temp:  38 F    Highest Temp:    42 F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:   3.82
Distance Walked: .7 mile
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
  6.6 
MPH                             7.3 MPH               16.7 MPH 
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped  Time
 35 minutes
                          31 minutes            4 minutes

2 comments:

  1. What? After building cabinets and working with black walnut, and knowing how EXPENSIVE it is, I can't believe you're chopping it up and burning it! Sacrilege!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? After building cabinets and working with black walnut, and knowing how EXPENSIVE it is, I can't believe you're chopping it up and burning it! Sacrilege!

    ReplyDelete