Friday, July 31, 2020

Logging with a Trike?

A dear neighbor not far up  the street gave me some small tree trimmings from her yard for firewood recently.  I procrastinated picking them up for several days....
Thursday, yesterday, 30 July, I decided I wanted to take another trike ride.  As I approached the main road leading west out of the city limits, I
 noticed her house only a few hundred feet further up the hill, and I remembered I still had not hauled her wood to my house for conversion into firewood for my little garage stove.  I really had planned to take a nice ride around the area to rack up a few miles, and it took me a few minutes pausing at the intersection to weigh things in my feeble brain.
I decided I needed to haul that wood away, and I WANTED to ride my trike.  I thought to myself that I could likely hitch up my bike trailer and see if it could be used to haul the relatively short hunks of wood.  So I turned around and pedaled back to our garage to drag out the trailer and hitch it up.
Unfortunately, for tired legs, pulling the trike and trailer uphill, even this slight grade, required a rapid descent through the gears to Grandma Gear, the lowest and slowest. 
Sure enough, I was able to load the trailer with several pieces of wood.  I'd call them logs but worry about sane folks laughing at me.
I could only load and carry a few at a time, so I made 3 or 4 trips back and forth before finishing.
Thank goodness it was DOWN hill all the way home with the heavy loads.
Even so, it generated a lot of sweat in this Missouri heat and humidity.  And this was a COOLER day with a few clouds protecting me from the solar heat.
Great exercise, likely  more than if I'd taken my intended nice long ride.
But I still waddle when I walk.

Ride Started:    12.29 PM      Ride Ended:  1:16 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.6  Ending Battery Voltage:  13.0   Lowest Voltage:  13.0

Beginning Blood Glucose:  111      Ending BG:75
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles: 1.63 (quarter-mile several trips)
Distance Walked: .6 mile
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
  2.2
MPH(!)                           4.8 MPH              22.6 MPH
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped  Time
 45 minutes
                          20 minutes           25 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment