Friday, November 12, 2021

No Sunscreen Today

 Technology Trike Tracking Through Town

Dateline Thursday, 11 Nov 2021, Veterans Day:  51 (!) years since I came home safely from Vietnam

Enough of that.  It was also very windy and nippy out, though the sun was shining.  Cold enough such that when I got ready to ride the Trike, I added two layers to my upper torso just for grins.  And to avoid shivers.  It worked pretty well.  Covered so well that almost no sunshine could "attack" my skin, so no "lotion" was required.  Earlier this year I rode several times in short pants and short sleeves, and a few times with open sandals with no socks.  Such behavior kept me cooler at the time but I had never before experienced sunburn on my FEET.  Ouch.  Which prompted me to be more faithful about applying sunscreen, but not this time.
I pedaled around a couple different streets this trip, though headed (of course) for our local Big Box Store.
The wind wasn't much fun, but since it stayed mostly in one direction, it wasn't so bad on the way back home.
I arrived successfully at the store, parked the trike, and made my purchases. 
When I walked back outside, the wind was even gustier than before, making me really happy to have the additional layers of shirt and jacket. I unlocked the trike from the storeside rack.  As I reached to put my sunglasses back on, they were nowhere to be found.  I normally hang them on the instrument pedestal on the front of the trike, but they just weren't there.
Riding a bike, even without stiff headwinds, is no picnic without protective glasses or goggles of some kind.  So I spent some time looking all over the trike, checking my multiple pockets, no luck.
Wondering if it was possible for any passerby to steal the well-used specs, I looked and looked. 
Finally I dug out my clear wind-goggles, and as soon as I sat down on the trike, I spotted my missing sunglasses:  About 100 feet away across the parking lot.  Gleefully pedaling over to them, I was sadly disappointed:

These were my glasses, all right, evidently sailed so far by the wind...... but evidently the nearby truck had run over them.  SIGH
On the way home, trying to avoid looking too closely toward the sun, I stopped at an intersection and waited for a young lady to cross the street with her dog.  They turned the same direction as I did and I was shocked when they caught up with me quickly and started to PASS me.  It turned out the gal wasn't walking, she was skateboarding, and she and her dog were making GREAT time.  I pedaled harder to try to stay ahead of them, but only rough pavement slowed them sufficiently for me to go on without them.  After all, it's one thing to be outrun by an Electric bike..... But a skateboard ??  BAH I say.
As I gleefully pulled away from this pair, the trike started making a scritchy noise like something was dragging off the back.  I rounded a corner at another intersection and dismounted to see what was wrong NOW.  It was only a extra long twig with a big fall leaf on it that had caught itself in the bike frame and thus generating the irritating sound.  Easy fix, thankfully.

Ride Started: 2:18 PM           Ride Ended:  3:55 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage: 13.6   Ending Battery Voltage:  12.9
Lowest Temp: 53 F Highest Temp: 64 F
Beginning Blood Glucose:  154   Ending BG: 90
Stats from the GPS: Total Miles:  7.65
Overall Average Speed      Moving Avg       Max Speed
  3.7 MPH                              6.6 MPH            27.5 MPH
Total Trip(s) Time                Moving Time      Stopped Time
 2 hours  3 minutes              1 hour 9 mins     54 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment