Saturday, December 10, 2022

Almost Too Cold

 5 Dec GPS Track

7 Dec Wednesday Track

Partial GPS / Ham Radio Tracking

Weather here is a constant subject of discussion and wonder.  We would normally call December midwinter, but the weather has been warmish (no freezing lately) and humid.  Lots of fog...
Even at temps  above 40 degrees, the breeze can feel rather chilly and slowly chill to the bone.
As most of us know.  High humidity makes both heat AND cold feel worse.
As usuual, I try to ride anyway.  I, as usual, tend to get into blue funks when I miss decent exercise for more than a day or two.  I "rest" from work on Sundays, mostly, and the other  6 days of the week are most always occupied with hammering, drilling, squatting to put  things down and up, etc, which seems to NOT provide good circulation.  Or something.
I again did my  duty yesterday riding to our local Big Box Store to pick up some needed items.
I mis -guessed the comfort level of the 45-ish temperature reading on our outside, and wore only one thin layer over my shirt (yellow/black lightweight windbreaker) and normal socks and shoes.
I had some stuff to deliver to our Love Center and a package to take to UPS, so I towed the B.O.B. trailer behind.  I detoured slightly to make the first dropoff, then rode the mile or so up to the UPS store.  Unfortunately, they turned me away since I didn't have a proper label on it.


On the way TO my desired destinations it was COLD and soaked into my feet and torso.
On the way back. the wind wasn't in my face AND the sun peeked out a little, warming me to the point I had to unzip my windbreaker.  My cold feet didn't thaw out too much but weren't hurting quite so bad.  Rounding the corner at Hovis, I was stopped for several minutes waiting for a HUGE string of school buses rounding the same corner, most with several students still inside.  This burg is a fairly small one, with less than 5K population.
I couldn't fathom why we have so many school buses, especially since more than half the town is within walking distance of everything else, including schools.  Just proving I'm an Old Man, I suppose.  When I was a grade schooler in Bluewater yo so many years ago, most of us walked a half mile or so to school and back.  But then again we didn't have paved streets either....

Ride Started: 2:07 PM           Ride Ended:  3:40 PM 
Beginning Battery Voltage: 12.8  Ending Battery Voltage:  12.7
Lowest Temp: 53 F Highest Temp: 57 F
Beginning Blood Glucose:  185   Ending BG: 105
Stats from the GPS: Total Miies:  6.0
Overall Average Speed      Moving Avg       Max Speed
 4.7 MPH                             6.5 MPH           18.9  MPH
Total Trip(s) Time             Moving Time      Stopped Time
  1 hour 17 minutes           55  minutes         22  minutes

3 comments:

  1. I hear you on walking to school. I walked two miles one way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking in and commenting. Hope you're still waking!!

      Delete
    2. Walking that is...

      Delete