Sunday, December 4, 2022

Winter Wandering

22 Nov GPS Track

3 Dec Saturday GPS Tracking

Missouri weather has been UP and DOWN with Bitter cold one and Balmy the next.
I learned long ago that if I wait for acceptable weather I would seldom get any outdoor exercise.
So I've ridden with both types of temperatures and conditions this week.
Yesterday was a bitter cold one.  I thought I'd take a short ride in the cold to deliver a letter to the Post Office.
So I saddled up.  Extra layers, open/closed grip mittens, arctic socks, head quilted skull cover (courtesy of Jacque many moons ago) - and off I went.
When I got up off the trike at the P.O., a fellow approached me asking about the trike.  I noticed this guy had a stump on one arm instead of a hand.  He explained that he had earlier been a bicycle rider, but had lost his hand in an accident and thus was curious about the trike, how it was steered, was it comfortable to ride, etc.  He wants to get one for himself, and hopefully he will.
While undertaking this very short jaunt, I decided it wasn't too cold for a longer trip, so I detoured around our Christmasy  Town Square and pedaled around to my usual boring loop around to the North side of town where I normally trudge over Highway 60 to our local Big Box Store to pick up some 9 volt batteries, something of course in dire need at home.

When I got near to that crossing of Route 60, I decided the traffic was a bit heavy for my taste,, so I stopped instead at the store immediately near me and pay a slightly higher price for the desired chemical energy sources.
This ingenious decision allowed me to take the return route with less cars  and trucks to dodge.
I normally encounter mostly friendly faces as I pedal my admittedly unusual contraption, but recently  I've taken to trying to smile widely to all oncoming faces, whether behind a windshield or not, and waving to everyone whether they wave  back or not.  Unsurprisingly, most smile and wave back.
For some odd reason this adds to the enjoyment of the ride.

Ride Started: 12: PM           Ride Ended:  1:36 PM 
Beginning Battery Voltage: 13.7  Ending Battery Voltage:  12.9
Lowest Temp: 35 F Highest Temp: 50 F
Beginning Blood Glucose:  175   Ending BG: 125
Stats from the GPS: Total Miies:  4.66
Overall Average Speed      Moving Avg       Max Speed
 5.2 MPH                             7.8 MPH           22.1  MPH
Total Trip(s) Time             Moving Time      Stopped Time
  54 minutes                      35  minutes         8  minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment