Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Back to Work, OH BOY

We enjoyed a nice fairly leisurely Memorial Day weekend.  Saturday we worked on caulking more daylight cracks in the framing of the new sewing room in preparation for installing insulation.
Yesterday, Monday, I spent rebuilding (re-spoking) my rear bike wheel that has been awaiting sufficient time for the job for several weeks now.  It's not a terribly difficult task replacing spokes in a wheel.  A couple years ago when I first began breaking spokes, I would replace only the broken spoke(s)..... but it seemed that once ONE spoke broke, within a few weeks (sometimes days) MORE spokes would pop, so I began ordering entire spoke kits so I could replace ALL spokes when "only" one broke.  The last wheel I did this to was on my roadie upright Diamond Frame (DF) bike, and I only rode it a few times with the rebuilt wheel before I bought the recumbent and almost totally ignored the roadie.  So I don't have millions of miles built up on my self-built wheels yet.  Everyone asks me "Do you have all the tools, a truing stand, etc.?" for which the answer is NO.  I did splurge for a long sprocket-spanner wrench to break loose the cassette and a special socket that fits the inside sprocket nut, but no truing stand.  I figure the bike frame is a pretty good truing stand, and so far that has worked fine.  My wheel building strategy is:  Replace ONE spoke at a time, tightening each new spoke to the same "ping" pitch (sounded out by tapping the spoke and surrounding spokes, and tightening the new spoke to the point where it "Pings" at the same (or nearly so) as the adjacent spokes.  Thus by the time I'm done, the wheel is alrady tight, straight, and so far, in no further need of tuning or adjusting.  I put weight on this one for the first time this morning and it seemed to be a really smooth and satisfying ride.  After a few hundred more miles we'll see if my handiwork holds up.  I also removed probably a hundred tiny spines from the tire tread, inside and out, picked up from who knows where, since I never ride off pavement, or very rarely do.  I had been suffering with a very slow leak for a month or so and took the time to make sure all spines were removed from inside and outside the tire, and filled up the kitchen sink to submerge the tube carefully so I could look for leaks.  I found only one..... a microscopic pip that barely leaked small, slow, bubbles from.  We'll see if I can go for more than 3 days (the previous limit) now without adding air.
It was COLD last night and this morning.  I wore my windbreaker on the ride to work and only got warmed up (and of course overheated) about the last half-mile of the ride.  Here it is the last day of May, and so hot you could barely breathe the last several days, and it gets chilly and cold.  BAH
Awakening BG:  75                              Post-Ride BG:  134
Morning Stats from the GPS:                 Total Miles:  7:34
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
11.0  Mph                          11.5 mph             20.7 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
40:00 mins                          38:15 mins            01:45 mins

Ride home this evening was windy but not bad.  Just good exercise to get "winded", right?
Beginning BG:  157                              Post-Ride BG: 61
Evening Stats from the GPS:                 Total Miles:  7.34
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
08.8  Mph                          09.5 mph             19.3  mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
49:59 mins                        46:37 mins            03:22 mins 

No comments:

Post a Comment