Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Snuck Another Bike Ride

I wussed out of riding Monday, yesterday, because I needed to get home early enough for our Empty Nesters Family Home Evening which was supposed to begin at 6:30 PM.  That, plus, the weather forecast was truly awful, and unfortunately turned out to be quite accurate.  The wind howled all day yesterday, the sky turned dark and brown, and when I took my noon 2-mile walk I almost lost my hat several times.  Ate a lot of blowing dirt while I was at it too.
This morning the forecast was not as horrific and I hate to miss out on the exercise and blood-warming that results, So I did my usual thing and parked the bike to ride the last 7 miles.  As I was sitting in the car trying to say goodbye to a ham radio buddy I'd been talking to for several minutes, I saw some woman walk slowly toward the car in my rear view mirror.  Wondering who the Cat-Hair it might be, I was surprised to see it was my darling daughter Sarah Jo, who spotted me in the parking lot while she was waiting for her next bus dor her final hop to work.  So we enjoyed the huggie thing and back-scritch thing for several minutes.  What a treat.  Then she wandered off to catch her bus and I finished saddling up the bike.  We see each other like this maybe once a week.  I've threatened to bring a kiddie trailer behind me so I can haul her to work with me on my bike.  Se works at a place maybe a quarter mile off the bike path I ride every day to work.
It was 37 degrees this morning for a cool May start, but it was warm enough by the time I got on the bike that I only wore the thin reflective wind-breaker and lightweight summer gloves.
Whaddya  know,  bike traffic jam this morning:
FOUR (Count 'em) cyclists crossing San Mateo at the same time.  Fortunately none of this group exhibited the "Get-Out-Of-My-Way-You-SCUM!" attitude sometimes found.  Nice group.
Nice ride.  We'll see if the ugly part of the wind forecast comes true this afternoon.
Awakening BG: 216 Post-Ride BG: 80
Morning Stats from the GPS: Total Miles: 7:48
Overall average speed      Moving Avg            Max Speed
10.9 Mph                        11.9 mph                 22.8 mph
Total Trip time                  Moving Time           Stopped Time
41:18 mins                       37:52 mins               03:26 mins

The ride back to the car tonight was not..... too much fun.  The wind was howling and the sky was brown by 4:00 PM so I checked Jacque's tracker  ( http://aprs.fi/kd5spn-9 ) to see if she was in town:  No such luck.
She would have driven to town to rescue me, had I called her, but that's too much lost time, money, and gas.
So I rode in spite of the 20+ MPH gusting headwind.  This was the stiffest headwind I've dealt with so far, and I found that it's really not as bad as gusting cross-winds:  I just geared down to almost-Granny-gear and took it as slow and easy as I could.  It was still a hard pull, but liveable.  Sure made for a late home arrival though:  After 8 PM.
Beginning BG:  79                              Post-Ride BG: unk
Evening Stats from the GPS:                 Total Miles:  7.40
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
07.0  Mph                          07.9 mph             20.0  mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
1 hr. 2 mins                        56:01 mins            06:58 mins 


No comments:

Post a Comment