Tuesday, May 3, 2011

It'll be a Cold Day in May.....

Actually these first THREE days in May have been VERY cold.  Sunday it snowed out at our house in the East Mountains, and was cold all day.
Monday, yesterday, it was 23 (!) degrees outside when I got up, with VERY heavy frost on everything.  For the 7-mile ride to work I layered up with my winter cycling duds and did not get a BIT overheated.  The last mile of Monday's ride was through wet, sloppy SNOW.  I watched the fat flakes coming down ever more intensely and thought "This will make great video..... Snow in May.  Of course, when I got to work I found the diddly video cam had recorded ZIP, NOTHING, NADA.  BAH
Today was 5 degrees warmer than yesterday, so I wore my summer sneakers instead of the leather brogans I wore yesterday.  It was still cold, especially considering the sun was out and bright.
My rear tire on the recumbent bike has a very slow leak... every few days I must air it up again or it will ruin the tire.  I received a nice package of new spokes but have not yet found the time to rebuild the original wheel.  So thus far I'm airing up my tire in hopes of doing all that tire/tube repair and rebuilt wheel installation all at once, since it's no picnic removing and replacing the rear tire, what with brakes, fenders, chain, derailleur, etc.  Trouble is, my cheapie air compressor I bought several years ago from Target locked up on me so I no longer am able to have my own motorized air supply within a few minutes of running the motor.
I have a huge Craftsman air compressor Jacque's Dad gave me a few years ago, but the only shelter I have for it is a shed about 150 feet from the house, which has only 117 Volts AC power wired to it, and the compressor requires 220 Volts AC.  Someday soon I'll either move this big guy up to the house, below the front deck, or run more wiring out to its shed so it can get the 220 Volts it needs, and I'll have real air again.
For now I'm stuck pumping up the tire at the local service station where a free air outlet is available.
Nothing much to report bike-trail wise, except for the May onslaught of wintry weather.
Oh, Yeah, my GPS tracker stopped working Friday.  A wire came loose from the power harness and confused the tracker software so much it stopped working.  After repairing the broken wire it still refused to port data to the radio so my positions could be reported on the internet sites.  I thought for sure something must have smoked, but this morning after disconnecting everything and finding no visible problems, it came back to life and worked great for this morning's commute.  My disconnecting all connections for looking it over must have allowed it to reset itself properly.... or something.
AND THEN.... As I turned into my parking lot off Jefferson Street this morning, my rear derailleur shifter control cable broke.  I don't think it's been quite a year since I broke the last one.  A friend and co-worker (Mark, K5LXP) gave me a noon ride to the bicycle shop on Paseo to purchase a couple of new cables, one for this time and one for the next time.

Awakening BG: 259 (!) Post-Ride BG: 60
Morning Stats from the GPS: Total Miles: 7:49
Overall average speed     Moving Avg       Max Speed
08.8 Mph                         09.7 mph            19.0 mph
Total Trip time                Moving Time       Stopped Time
51:00 mins                        46:28 mins          04:32 mins



No comments:

Post a Comment