Friday, March 31, 2017

Howling Winds, Oh My

Today's APRS Ham Radio Tracking

I was talking on the ham radio to hams in Albuquerque this morning about daybreak.  They told me the wind was blowing HARD in town and wondered if we had wind out here.  I looked outside and it was as calm and sunny as a Sunday Summer Morning.
Howsomever, in another few minutes it was screeching winds, bending trees, and general turmoil.
I reasoned within my limited self, considering that if I avoided windy days, I would NOT get to ride very often.  Jacque said she was getting enough exercise cleaning the house, so I took off for another mail run.
Interestingly, the winds did not bother me much until I got up on the  pavement of Frost Road.... where there is a wide right-of-way with few trees to obstruct the wind.
The winds didn't seem to be coming from any particular direction;  it blew this way and that.
Being low-slung on the recumbent trike caused me to catch less wind, but for a few hundred yards across one clear area, I thought the gusts might bowl me over.  Thank goodness I wasn't on a 2-wheel upright bike or I Surely would have toppled over in some of the stronger blasts.

Made it to the Post Office with no particular problems.  The outside temperatures seemed colder than yesterday, so the only "biking clothiing" I had on was the outer windbreaker.  I wore a single long sleeve shirt underneath, which is almost unheard of with me - I normally always wear a short sleeve shirt underneath.
This trip I did NOT unzip the windbreaker until I got to the warmth inside the Post Office.
Our goat-path dirt. rock, and rumble mile road from the house to the pavement had dried out from the recent snow and sleet storms, so I rode the trike all the way from the house to the P.O. and back.  Which certainly makes for an intense aerobic workout coming and going.



Ride Started: 10:36  AM    Ride Ended:  11:52  AM
Beginning Battery Voltage:   14.0   Ending Voltage: 12.9  Lowest:  12.5
Beginning Blood Glucose:  237  Ending BG Reading:  69
Lowest Temp  53 F      Highest Temp:  67 F  
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  5.56
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
   4.4 MPH                             5.5 MPH                   27.0 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
1 hour 16 mins                      1 hour                       16 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment