Saturday, March 25, 2017

I Ran Out of Gas Before the Chainsaw Did

Today's Tracking via Ham Radio and APRS

Yesterday I needed to cut down a couple of our numerous Juniper trees.  The chainsaw had been in use last week and barely had any fuel in it.  I didn't want to fill the tank when I planned to run it only a few minutes, so I poured in a cupful or so of gas and went to work.  The job, as usual,  turned out to be more difficult and time-consuming than I anticipated.  After about a half hour of this "5-minute task" I had the trees felled but the chainsaw was still roaring in full voice so I thought I'd cut the trees  into stove lengths until the saw ran out of gas so I could stow it back in the shed with a dry tank.  The saw just kept running and the wood kept piling up and my energy level kept running lower...... and lower.  I felt like my blood glucose must be very low and eventually I had to manually shut the chainsaw down and give it up and put it away with a bit of gas remaining in the tank. As I recall, when I got inside, my blood glucose tested at 39.  I was very fuzzy indeed.
I then spent that afternoon assembling another APRS/Ham Radio set for my new trike.  I also added extra length to the upper plastic tubing used as a chain guard, which really turned into a frustrating project since the separated chain kept sliding back out of the new tubing.  I got good and black and greasy with chain gunk, for sure.  Finally got that short project (over a week of intermittent effort!) working and took it for a 1/4 mile quickie test ride.
Since we'd missed 2 days of riding by today, Saturday, I wanted to do a trike ride with the new tracker assembly.  Jacque was in Albuquerque doing high level Eastern Star work so I rode alone.  I don't have room for 2 doggie passengers and I didn't want to leave either of the pooches home alone, so I left them both home alone.  They tried to rush the door when they saw me heading out in my yellow bike-shirt, but I was able to get going without them with minimal complaining.
The weather today was a bit on the strange side, with stiff winds, cloudy and overcast, and a bit on the cool side.  Our vaunted global warming fell apart the last 2 days, with snow and frost Thursday night and some rather bitter cold Friday.  I didn't get too awful cold, in spite of the gusty wind, since pedal-power produces its own bountiful body heat.

Ride Started: 1:25 PM    Ride Ended:  3:22 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:   14.0   Ending Voltage: 12.9 Lowest:  12.5
Beginning Blood Glucose:  120  Ending Reading:  91 
Lowest Temp  57 F      Highest Temp:  67 F  
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  10.56
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
   5.4 MPH                             6.9 MPH                   29.0 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
1 hour 57 mins                      1 hour 32 minutes      25 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment