Monday, June 3, 2019

Never Take THIS Route again..

Partial Tracking of an undesirable Route

Here it was Monday Morning, sunny and warm.  I wanted to rack up around 10 miles and get it done before it got too hot.  I wound up getting lost.  Even the stupid (!) GPS an Google Maps kept leading me astray... Several miles of gravel roads up hill and down dale make for tedious cycling.  Great exercise, I suppose, but enjoyment.... lacking.
I made the mistake of thinking the GPS would keep me on "better" (meaning paved) roads.  Somehow I got off on several rocky, graveled roads and the GPS was of little help getting me back to smoother paths.  I wound up somehow on Gourley Road which is NOT smooth, paved, or level.  It has several steep hills and valleys which were very rough.  So rough I had to carefully creep downhill riding the breaks to prevent any speed at all since the rocks and ruts were so dangerous.  Then, climbing the steep uphills on the other side, resulted in my having to dismount and DRAG the trike through the rocks since it was steep and the rocks so loose my rear wheel would hopelessly spin.  I was surprised the tires, all three of them, made it without blowing out. 
I did encounter more beautiful Missouri back country and farmland, but at the cost of very slow progress due to the lack of decent roadway.
Thankfully this creek was only a couple inches over the nasty road

When I finally encountered Cherokee Road and its blessed pavement, I was sorely tempted to take a picture of myself kissing the wonderful asphalt.
I was barely able to resist the temptation, but fatigue overpowered my enthusiasm and I trudged on towards home. 
Several miles before I arrived home, I thought I spotted a strip of shredded tire lying in the roadway.  I slowed down to throw it off the roadway, as is my habit.  I'm glad I took a closer look before reaching for it.
A FIVE foot Black Snake.  Alive, and sniffing the air with his tongue.
I kept a respectful distance and he did the same for me.  I think he's harmless, and hope he made it completely across the road without getting smushed.
Jacque called me on the cell phone at about the 4-hour mark.  I was way overboard on my desired mileage, but what the hey.  Mistakes are my most effective mode of learning.

Ride Started:  9:51 AM      Ride Ended:  1:53 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  12.9  Ending Battery Voltage:  12.7 Lowest Voltage:  12.7
Beginning Blood Glucose:    107     Ending BG: 68
Lowest Temp:  67 F    Highest Temp:  75 F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:  16.21

Distance Walked: 1/2 mile
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
   3.8   MPH                           5.2  MPH            31.4 MPH
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped Time
 4 hours 13 mins                 3 hours 7
 mins     1 hour 5 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment