Saturday, June 1, 2019

Too Hot, Then it Rains

Today's Travel Tracking via GPS and Ham Radio

I had high hopes of making a 10 mile triketrip this morning, but didn't quite achieve it.
I should have gotten underway earlier in the morning, but I tend to procrastinate or even put things off until the last minute....
I first thought of taking a ride about 8:30 AM or so but by the time I got going it was a little after noon and the sun was high.
I rode around back streets until I was up to 3rd Street, or Business Route 60, the main east-west path through Mountain Grove, then continued east to the western-most exit for Mountain Grove off Highway 60, then rode the shoulder of 60 back toward the second exit to Mountain Grove.  I exited 60 at that point to take the frontage road around town just south of Route 60, a reverse route of a circuit I've done several times now.  Riding to the eastern-most exit of 60 to Mountain Grove would have added welcome miles, but the only time I've tried that route I discovered that exit has NO shoulder for at least 2 miles before getting into town.  Since that traffic runs 50 to 70 MPH, it was NOT fun that time, watching vehicles zoom up behind me.  They all gave me plenty of clearance, but nobody can expect that good behavior from 100% of drivers 100% of the time.
Speaking of good behavior, when I exited 60 and entered the center turn lane to turn left on the frontage road by McDonalds, a very busy road for some reason, a very nice fellow in a F350-size Ford truck pulling a trailer behind him unnecessarily stopped as he spotted me, and blocked traffic behind him, beckoning me to take my turn in front of him.  What a nice guy.  This behavior is not unusual around here.  Reckless speedsters are here but they are thankfully in the minority and rarely encountered.
I was taking one of several rest breaks in the shade of a nice tree, one of "God's Air Conditioners", when I felt a single drop of moisture go splat on the back of my head.  It had turned mildly cloudy but I thought I should get going in case it turned out to be real rain.
JUST before it started to RAIN

Before I could get the helmet and shoes back on, it DID commence raining, and within a few minutes it had turned into a downpour.  I passed a couple of homes with carports or other overhangs before deciding the NEXT shelter I spotted I was going to take advantage of.  The rain slowed a bit, so I kept going, only to get stuck in a TERRIFIC downpour, and frantically pedaling with real motivation, I pulled across the street under the front door overhang at the Senior Center.  It was empty and closed but the expansive overhang provided great protection from the rain.  My radio and GPS were fairly wet by now.  I dragged out my large Zip-Lok bag and covered them up but it may have been too late.
The radio was still working but the GPS was not responding to finger commands.
The rains intensified, pounded down like Noah-Build-An-Ark..... then blue sky appeared overhead and the rain just as suddenly stopped.  I waited a few minutes to make sure I wasn't going to get soaked again, then rode home thankful for my fenders on all 3 wheels.

Ride Started:  12:22 PM      Ride Ended:  2:03 PM
Beginning Blood Glucose:    186     Ending BG: 126
Lowest Temp:  71 F    Highest Temp:  82 F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:  7.84

Distance Walked: 1/4 mile
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
   7.6   MPH                           8.1  MPH            16 MPH
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped Time
 1 hour 38 mins                  1 hour 14
 mins      24 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment