Thursday, August 11, 2011

Thursday already and first Day on the Bike this Week

Today's bread-crumb track brought to you by Google

On Monday during my short noon ride I noticed my legs seemed to already be losing their "zip" from lack of regular riding.  I need the additional time to work on the house in the evenings, but I need to keep in better shape as well.  So I'm back to commute-riding as much as I possibly can.
This morning was cloudy and cooler when I unsaddled the recumbent from the car rack, so I did not slather on the usual white coating of sun-block.  As I was just about to pedal away from the car towards work, it began to sprinkle just a little, and continued to sprinkle very lightly for a mile or two.  Then it dried up and I haven't seen any rain since.
I'm again flabbergasted that more people don't park their gas guzzling cars and ride their bikes, especially for around-town trips.  It's just SO bloomin' ENJOYABLE to be cruising on a bike under your own power.
Bicycles are one of the most efficient machines ever invented, and they've been available at reasonable prices since, what, the late 1800's ??
I have a picture of my grandpa Devenport's brothers at the ranch in Texas, cowboys and horsemen all, dated about 1890 or 1900, and there's a couple of BICYCLES leaning against the fence next to them!  And this was certainly before paved roads had come to that country.
 Awakening BG:  121                           Post-Ride BG: 64
Beginning Battery Voltage: 12.7         Ending Voltage: 12.7
Morning Stats from the GPS:                 Total Miles: 7.42
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
09.5.  Mph                          10.7 mph             21.0 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
  46 mins 59 secs              41 mins 36 secs    5 mins 23 secs

The afternoon ride back to the car was, you guesses it, hot, but totally enjoyable.
The legs talked to me a bit all day but it felt great to have the blood circulating again.
Pre-Ride BG:  229                           Post-Ride BG: 98:
Beginning Battery Voltage: 12.7         Ending Voltage: 12.7
Evening Stats from the GPS:                 Total Miles: 07.40
Overall average speed      Moving Avg         Max Speed
09.9.  Mph                          10.5 mph             23.1 mph
Total Trip time                   Moving Time       Stopped Time
44:59 mins                          42:21 mins          02:38 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment