Monday, October 24, 2011

Popped Another One

Monday APRS Tracking Route
There I was... cruising along minding my own business, about halfway to work from my secret parking place where I park the car and saddle up the bike for the last 7.4323434555 miles.  I forget why I pulled over and stopped, but I did, downshifting automatically as I braked.  I think it was my cell phone ringing and I don't remember who it was, but when I started to roll again, I couldn't get it into low gear.  I seemed to remember I'd already downshifted but it didn't hit me full in the face until I tried to downshift to cross an Albuquerque bone-shaker wooden rattle-bridge.... there WAS no downshifting.  I was stuck in high gear.  When I twisted the handlebar-grip shifter ring, it spun too easily and whizzed through the stops but no control of the rear derailleur occurred.  I realized my long shifter cable had broken.... for the third time since I bought the recumbent.
Thankfully I had a new cable safely tucked in the rear pannier.... but needing for now to get to work, I just chugged huffily along using only the front chain-rings for up and down shifting.  But, since the rear gear was stuck on the tallest gear, the chain  had trouble staying true at such an odd pull angle so it continually jumped a tooth, making it highly impossible to keep up a tempo or pull the slightest of grades without having to hop off and walk the bike..... definitely not a fun ride.  I spent my noon hour replacing the cable instead of the usual enjoyable 2-mile walk through Wildflower Park.  The gears worked fine for the ride back to the carrito tonight except for not being adjusted exactly as they used to be.  Now I must make a pass by the local bike shop to pick up another cable to keep with me for the next breakage.
BG before ride home:  167   BG after getting home, before dinner:  138
Evening stats from the GPS:    Total Distance Miles:  7.43
Overall average speed     Moving Avg      Max Speed
9.5  Mph                             10.3 mph            21.4 mph
Total Trip time                Moving Time     Stopped Time
  47:00 mins                       43:23 mins          03:37 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment