Monday, October 31, 2011

It's Now Officially Itchy Underwear Time

Today's cold but unchanging tracking-route
Well, this morning it was 31 degrees when I rousted my sleepy self out of bed.  So I dutifully donned my winter cycling wear.  I've never had to use leggings, although I do use Velcro straps to tie my pants legs shut at the ankles both to keep the pants out of the chain and to keep warmth in and cold air out.
For the upper torso I wear a turtleneck wicking shirt that's supposed to allow me to sweat  or (perspire, for my more gentle readers) while wicking such moisture away from the body to keep me from overheating and freezing all at the same time, or closely timed to each other.  This shirt helps keep me warm underneath but I don't notice it keeping my other undergarments dry at all.  But, as they say in first aid and survival courses:  Cotton Kills, at least in cold weather.  On top of that is a long sleeve shirt, then a bright yellow bike windbreaker, then a blazing yellow-green reflective vest which also blocks a bit of wind.  As usual for colder weather, I did not get overheated until about the last 2 miles of my 7+ mile commute, after which I was frantically unzipping things to let in some of that wonderful cold air.  I also wore my wooly polar fleece skull cap and my ski mask and my ski gloves which are so bulky I can barely work the shifters and brakes, and pretty much NOTHING so small as a radio knob, although I can still work the handlebar-mounted transmit switch for the radios.  I also wore my clunky winter leather high-top shoes since the tennie-runners have not been keeping the feet warm recently.  The only winter gear I didn't utilize today was chemical hand-warmers, and, Unless we have a dramatic warming spell I will henceforth be using them every day.
Pre-Ride BG: 229                          BG when arrived at Work:   147
Beginning Battery Voltage: 12.7       Ending Voltage: 12.7   (Gel Cell battery pack,  charged last night)
Beginning Temperature:  48 F (in ABQ)        Ending Temperature:  55 F
Morning Stats from the GPS:        Total Miles:    7.45
Overall average speed         Moving Avg           Max Speed
9.5 Mph                            10.6 mph               19.5 mph
Total Trip time                    Moving Time          Stopped Time
46 mins 59 secs                  42 mins 04 secs     04 mins 55 secs

3 comments:

  1. You've one of the best sites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore this site - its so usefull and helpfull.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a very practical internet site; could not make it without ya!

    ReplyDelete