Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Terrifically Cold Tuesday, 39 miles?

39-mile track link
The auto shop finally thinks they have Jacque's Exploder  roadworthy again.Since she has to come to town this evening anyway, our strategy was laid out:
-She drives my Taurus to her work this morning.
-I ride my bike all the way to ABQ to work this morning.
-Jacque comes to town this evening in the Taurus, since it has the quasi permanent bike rack on the back
-She picks me up at quitting time to rescue me from the all-night effort of riding back home on the bike (which I have NOT done yet, even for bragging rights)
-We drop her off at the auto shop so she can drive her beloved Exploder home and have HER ride back.
It was COLD this morning.  I got overheated so when I got almost to the Albuquerque city limits I removed my wooly skull cap and my mittens... and about FROZE the rest of the way to work.It felt sunny and balmy when sitting still ripping off the winter stuff but MERCY, the wind got real cold again real quick as soon as I got rolling again.
I'm not understanding some weirdnesses I've experienced lately:  My last 2 full rides into Albuquerque from home, including today's, have logged on the GPS with an unexpected extra hour.  Last week I thought I'd just been extra slow, but an HOUR?  Then today it showed me taking 3 hours and 24 minutes for a trip that normally takes me TWO hours and 20-30 minutes.  I looked at the leaving and arrival times from home to work and it was 2 hours and change..... the stoopid GPS is confusing itself somehow.  Which is not all that unusual, though this is the first time I've noticed it getting elapsed times wrong.  I think it must be related to daylight savings time plus the fact that I start riding before the sun comes up and halfway through the ride the sun comes out and the GPS changes the display screen from dark to daylight, and must be doing some cat-hair calculation that results in an extra hour being claimed as trip time.  I went through all the settings and turned off the automatic Daylight Savings Time setting, since Congress has changed that so much the last several years none of the automated devices can keep up with it.  Hopefully next time it will report correctly.
Also, the GPS mileage  is always noticeably different, even though I ride the same old path every time... this long ride usually reports in as 31.8 miles and today it was over 39... whassup with that?  It must vary because of the number of satellite positions the GPS calculates.  Weird.  Don't stake your life or bet your savings on GPS accuracy... and we won't even TALK about the GPS map inaccuracies everyone deals with.
Stupid knows no limits.  The other day I rode off with only my lemon-lime drink  bottle on the bike; no water.
I was glad to have the slightly sweet lemon-lime drink for moisture.... TODAY I rode off with NOTHING to drink.  Made it OK, but of course would have much more enjoyed some water to drink along the way.
Pre-Ride BG: 143            Post-Ride BG:  102
Beginning Battery Voltage: 12.5       Ending Voltage: 12.5   (Clunker Heavy Gel Cell battery pack, AA-Pak won't last 3 hours at my loads)
Beginning Temperature:  44 F        Ending Temperature:  62 F
Morning Stats from the GPS:        Total Miles:   39.29
Overall average speed         Moving Avg       Max Speed
11.5. Mph                          12.2 mph            35.6 mph
Total Trip time                 Moving Time          Stopped Time
2 hours 24 mins               2 Hours 12 mins    11 mins 38 secs
(corrected from 3 hours 24 mins)

No comments:

Post a Comment