Tuesday, January 31, 2012

It Takes All Day to Make 26 Miles???

Missed a Lot of Positions, but a trail nonetheless
I took another new route for a bike ride today.  Our mud road is almost dried, so I was able to ride/push the bike down the mile mudway to the pavement and rode east on Frost Road.  I thought I'd ride to the intersection of Frost Road and Road 344 (which goes south to Edgewood) and decide then whether to ride farther east on 472 to Stanley, 344 south to Edgewood, or turn around and return home.
I decided I needed to ride to the Edgewood Wal-Mart and see if they had any bike gloves in my size. 
When I got there I cruised the area looking for a bike rack, but of course, found none.
So, I locked the bike up to a metal snack-break table just outside the entry.  I decided to leave my "stuff" outside on the bike and trust that no oone would even see or notice it.  Just as I walked away from the bike, a homeless-looking dude came out of the store and went right over to the bike, looked it over, and sat down next to it.  I watched him for several minutes from around the corner to see if he had any larcenous tendencies, but he seemed safe after a few minutes so I went on inside.
As for my luck finding new gloves, which I desperately need:  Every Wal-Mart or other bike accessory vendor seems to have at most 1 or 2 pair of bike gloves, the largest being large or XL, neither of which are large enough to fit my hands. This one was the same story in spite of having a much larger bike accessory selection than most stores.  So it was a wasted shopping trip but a great aerobic exercise endeavor. 
They had a McDonalds booth-store inside so I decided to carb up with a chicken sandwich, which only reinforced my low opinion of Mickey D's service and sandwiches.
When I readied to leave, I asked the GPS about the shortest route home and it claimed going on into Edgewood and taking "Historic Route 66" was the shorter route.  So I went that way.  When I got home I found over half my route was NOT reported on the internet APRS track.  Oh Well.  At least I was still moving, albeit slowly, when I got home.  Total time was right at 5 hours, this route includes several long slow climbs, and the altitude is higher than ABQ by at least more than a thousand feet most of the way.
That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
Pre-Ride BG:    115                   Post-Ride BG:  169   
Beginning Battery Voltage: 12.7                Ending Voltage: 12.3
Start-Ride Temperature:  55 degrees F                 Arrival Temperature: 59 F
Stats from the GPS: Total Miles: 26.29
Overall average speed                    Moving Avg                       Max Speed
06.0 Mph                                         8.2 mph                             32.4 mph
Total Trip time                               Moving Time                      Stopped Time
4 hours 21 mins                                3 hours 12 mins                 1 hour 8 mins 

No comments:

Post a Comment