Monday, January 30, 2012

Wimpy Monday: 13 Miles

Today's nice but farily short ride
Hitched another ride into Albuquerque this morning with Jacque.  I rode down the familiar bike path but turned south just past Carlisle and wound around through a few neighborhoods and parking lots trying to find a non-high-speed automotive route to get to our credit union.  Finally had to go back to Carlisle, which has no bike lane, and rode the sidewalk (dangerous enough in itself) up to Candelaria where the bank was located.
Then I rode west on Candelaria to the Northbound entry to the North Diversion Channel trail and rode back to the Hahn Arroyo trail and east back towards Jacque.  She called about the time I got to Pennsylvania and said she was going to a nearby church office and I told her I would ride east on Indian School, which has a bike lane, to meet her there.  She got out earlier than I could arrive there and was taking a oatmeal-bar break when she called and said she was ready.  So I talked her into just coming on down Indian School to intercept me where I was and could then load the bike on the rear rack and ride from there with her.
I had a soft rear tire a few days ago and got tired of pumping it up every day.  I took the tire off and looked foor the leak and found one big one and 2 or 3 micro-leaks caused by small steel wires that evidently are thrown into the roadway from passing truck tires.  The biggest leak was right through the middle of a big patch I put on last year.... I have no trust nor faith in a patch on top of another patch so I discarded the tube, though not very old, and installed the new spare tube I've been carrying around for a year or two.
While re-mounting the tube inside the tire, I noticed the rear wheel bearing was tight, "growly", and would barely turn by hand.  So I had to disassemble the cassette and the bearings and clean and pack them... again,.
Oh, yeah...... As I worked on the tire and tube I noted with alarm that my about-a-year-old tire was cracking.  So I need new tires now as well as another thornproof tube, which is not easy to find in the 26 X 1.90 size.  I've had more than one salesman at various bike shops try to sell me a too-large tube since they didn't stock the correct size.  Any 10-year old with any bike experience can tell you truly:  You can't get away with putting a size-larger tube inside a bike tire.  The tube will develop kinks and folds when aired up that will develop fatal leaks in a very short time. 
After all that I had to re adjust the rear shifting mechanism and today was the first time I'd ridden it with the new tube.  It doesn't want to shift into the highest gear so I need to do some more adjusting on that rear derailleur lever.
Pre-Ride BG:    99                   Post-Ride BG:  94   
Beginning Battery Voltage: 12.4                Ending Voltage: 12.3
Start-Ride Temperature:  37 degrees F                 Arrival Temperature: 51 F
Morning Stats from the GPS: Total Miles: 13.09
Overall average speed                    Moving Avg                       Max Speed
07.0 Mph                                         9.3 mph                             18.0 mph
Total Trip time                               Moving Time                      Stopped Time
1 hours 52 mins                                1 hours 24 mins                 27 mins  11 secs



No comments:

Post a Comment