Monday, August 6, 2012

20-Mile Monday

Nice Tracking Today except for Tijeras Canyon
We got a call from our favorite local mail drop service, One Stop Office, that We had a parcel to pick up.  So, as usual, I seized upon this as an excuse to go for an extended bike ride.  This time I rode my favorite loop the OTHER way around:  Down to Frost Road, east to Vallecitos and thence upwards to Sedillo Hill, then west on Olde Route 66 to Tijeras, pick up my package, and north on Highway 14 to Frost Road whereupon it's about 2.5 miles of mostly downhill ride until our despicable rocky rutted dirt mile-long goat-path to our house, which is a nasty climb almost all the 1-mile rest of the way.
'Twas, forsooth, a BEAUTIFUL day for such a ride, even though it was during the noonish hour whence I rode.  When I stopped at the Sedillo Hill gas station for a water refill and a snack, I was mildly surprised to realize I had never ridden this stretch of 66 in westbound mode although I've ridden the other (Eastbound) shoulder a dozen or more times.  I was also unpleasantly surprised at the alkaline bitter taste of the water they provided me free.
We are admittedly spoiled with our private well providing such cool refreshing water lacking any taste at all except for wonderful wetness.
This trip burned a few carbs for me:  I snarfed an ice cream sandwich at Sedillo Hill and in Tijeras, after checking my blood glucose again, went next door to One Stop Office and ate a roasted turkey Subway Sandwich.  Mind you - I'd requested a grilled chicken breast sndwich - but was hungry enough not to question the disparity and the food was, as they sy in Nebraska, "!Muy Sabroso!"  Then I promptly rode off onto mostly uphill North-14, leaving my precious blood glucose test kit on the news rack outside One Stop Office.  I've not only done this before, but several times.  I've developed a stupid knack for forgetting to zip the pocket shut on my pannier (saddle-bag to you non cyclists) that holds my test kit, spare battery, snacks, and assorted other goodies.  A customer found my kit and brought it to the front counter or I would have lost it forever.  I was riding along huffing and blowing my way slowly up N-14 when the cell phone started ringing, and when I delayed stopping immediately in order to find some shade to stop under, I noticed I'd again left the bag un-zipped and the test kit and a very important peanut-butter-and-honey sandwich were missing.  The now-missed phone call was the announcement about the found test kit.  The whereabouts of my missing sandwich is still a mystery and by now is surely already a Cold Case.
As for Jacque, she is kicking butte riding her new trike.  She took off after I left and rode the 5+ miles to Davis Hardware in Cedar Crest and made it back home before I did, making at least 10 miles for herself today on some very steep climbs.  A couple weeks ago she wouldn't have been able to make such a distance with such climbs.  Good on You, Gorgeous.
Beginning Battery Voltage: 13.0   --    Ending Voltage: 12.7
Lowest Temp:   80 F                 Highest Temp:  91 degrees F
Stats from the GPS: Total Miles:     23.24
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
05.9 MPH                                8.9 MPH                   33.5 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
3 hours 55 mins                     2 hours 35 mins          1 hour 19 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment