Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Another 24 Miles, This Time for Lunch

Today's Very Nice Scenic Ride Tracking
I had set up a lunch date with Paul, N5DBB, today at the East Mountain Grille just north of Edgewood, and decided to ride the bike over there.  I'd ridden that area before and am not at all enthusiastic about riding Route 344 from Cedar Grove to Edgewood.... several miles of it have no shoulder at all, the traffic is fast and furious and too many of the rushed drivers have no concept of WAITING until it's safe to pass a cyclist.
I googled the route and was surprised to find 3 options, none of which involved riding any appreciable distance on 344.  So I decided to take the Frost Road - Mountain Valley Road - Crestview Road - County Line Road - Dinkle Road route, which Google claimed was 11.6 miles from my place.  I invited Jacque to ride along with her new hotrod Catrike, so off we went.  This route has in the past been fairly boring and mundane, with few trees or greenery, but the listed route is really rather enjoyable, with mostly mild hills and lovely housing areas with trees, grass, nice less traveled paved roads, and all that stuff.  Plus Dinkle Road runs right to the intersection containing the desired restaurant.  Such a Deal.
While underway, I did discover something else is going wrong with my bike.... the ham radio transmitter.
Yesterday no one could hear me when I tried talking to them so I replaced the antenna, thinking the old frayed one must be the problem.  Today, however, most people had the same complaint:  They either couldn't hear me at all or complained I was "all broken up".  So I need to spend a bit of time this evening testing it and finding exactly what is the matter with it.
I was dive-bombed again today by several hummingbirds.  When you wear bright yellow, red, or orange gear, even a shirt or vest, the little boogers seem to think you must be a huge rolling feeder, worthy of dive bombing or "Buzzing".  Cute but annoying at times, especially when they  buzz right in front of your face unexpectedly.  Heaven Help me if I ever spilled any soda or honey or sweet stuff anywhere....
As always, the grub at the Grille was wonderful.  There was a HUGE crowd in attendance and the wait-staff was overwhelmed but still performed admirably.  I had the new abbreviated cheese enchilada plate (reduced portions, reduced price, flavor still great).  Jacque had a Cobb Salad which included something we'd never encountered before:  Fried or baked breaded GREEN BEANS.  Yummy.
All this nice routing AND the weather was absolutely wonderful.  It was cooler than normal today and after lunch on the way home we actually had a few clouds come over.
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.2   Ending Voltage:  12.4
Lowest Temp  80 F      Highest Temp:  84 F
Stats from the GPS: Total Miles:     24.36
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
5.9 MPH                                 9.2 MPH                   28.5 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
4 hours 7 mins                    2 hours  38 mins         1 hour 20 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment