Monday, March 16, 2015

Excuses, Excuses

Today's Very Short Tracking

Okay, Okay.  So it's been 5 days since I/we rode last.  The weather has been part of the problem, and of course procrastination is another problem category all in itself. We've had rainy weather in the afternoons, too-full days where the time demands leave nothing for (ahem) staying healthy, whine, whine, you can fill in the details yourself, Dear Reader.
I thought I might get in a ride earlier this morning to avoid possible afternoon showers but - as usual - Noon came and went and I still was nowhere near ready to roll.  The excuse for this was my decision to saw and split a bit of firewood, which sucked up most of the morning.  The weather is warming, but we still burn wood in the stove in the mornings and occasionally in the evenings, and our woodpile has dwindled dramatically these last few weeks. SO -- messing with the wood isn't just for personal enjoyment and making the bones complain.
The after-lunch sky turned bright and clear and warm so prospects looked great for a ride.  As I was getting ready for saddling up my recumbent 2-wheeler I casually asked Jacque if she was in the mood for a joint trike ride instead.  She was in the middle of a quilting project so I thought she wouldn't but by the time I actually got ready she was ready for a ride too.  So I loaded up the trike into the transport trailer and off we went.
I'm getting a bit leery of riding the trike out here close to home, but we didn't want to separate and we didn't have sufficient time to make the longer trip across the canyon and Albuquerque to ride the Bosque.  We decided to just make a mail run, which is very short mileage wise but a great workout, if frustrating, climbing the long hill approaching the Post Office.
It turned out better than I thought.  Last time we tried this route on the trike I thought I was going to keel over from exhaustion but today we made the trip with moderate effort and no real suffering on my part.
Talk about beautiful riding weather.   No wind to speak of, sunny and yet just cool enough to be pleasant.
We are truly going to miss this "Not-Yet-Spring" weather when spring actually gets here and the winds and weather are not as nice.

After the P.O. stop, a short ride up the rest of the hill to the Snack Station, er, Shell Station for a soda and rest break.  On the way home, of course, those same hills were easier going down than climbing up.

Ride Started: 3:33 PM    Ride Ended:  5:10 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:   14.0   Ending Voltage: 12.9  Lowest:  12.9
Lowest Temp  67 F      Highest Temp:  75 F 
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  4:28
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
  3.4 MPH                               6.4 MPH                  29.4 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
1 hour 16 mins                       40 minutes                 35  minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment