Monday, March 2, 2015

No Sun, Still Fun

Today's Tracking via APRS, GPS, and Ham Radio

Today did not appear optimal for a bike ride:  The sun never showed its face, the wind was pretty nasty.... but it was actually a lot warmer than it has been for the last several  days.  It was around 50-something degrees when I finally saddled up and left, which is practically springtime-style temperature.
We got a tremendous dump of snow Friday and Saturday, resulting in drifts of 3 feet in our yard and perhaps a foot all around average in most of the acreage.  The snow was so wet and deep I could barely get the tractor out of its own tracks, even without pulling a load of snow with the scraper, so I gave up and re-parked the tractor.  Sunday morning the weater suddenly warmed up and by that evening most of the deep snow was GONE.  Talk about dramatic quick weather changes.
Supposedly the weather guessers are forecasting more storms coming in, so I hated to wait several more days in hopes of better weather, so I determined to ride today even for a short one..... trying to get exercise in the breaks between worser weather.
Since all the area's dirt parking areas are again sloppy with mud, I drove up to the Post Office and parked in the empty paved lot adjacent.  Since I had a house payment needing to go to the outgoing mail slot this worked in my favor.
I then rode east on Frost Road, and the conditions were not too bad.  The wind was gusting pretty heavily, but I've endured worse.   I sorta hoped to make a 10-miler by riding 5 miles and then returning, but it was already late when I started, the wind was getting worse, and I turned around just past the 4 mile point.
By now the wind was really getting strong, and occasionally I got a bit sideways, thankfully not while cars were close by.
Arrived back at the SUV/trailer combo safe and sound.

Ride Started: 4:14 PM    Ride Ended:  5:19 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:   14.0   Ending Voltage: 13.0  Lowest:  13.0
Lowest Temp  50 F      Highest Temp:  50 F 
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  8.10
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
  7.3 MPH                                8.9 MPH                 24.4 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
1 hour 6 mins                         54 minutes                 12  minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment