Thursday, September 8, 2016

Just Cruisin' Across Town

Today's Tracking
Again, I've done more actual bike/trike riding than blogging about it - Which isn't to say that I've been doing a whole lot of either.
Today presented the perfect excuse for a ride:  DUTY and HONOR.
Well, maybe a little of duty and nothing to do with honor, but it sounded righteous.
I had a mission truck in the body shop for a bumper repair (The Teenage Missionary Driver called and told me "I was driving along a narrow dirt road and somehow hit a post...." So, the current office joke is the old gag about how a Post Jumped Out Into The Middle of the Road.
Anyway, Lyle Wagy's crew at "A Dent Express" did a 2-day turnaround on a front bumper repair, about average for  their speedy service philosophy.  If you have hail damage or a fender bender, you should check with them first for repairs.
Commercial over.  They called and told me this pickup was repaired and ready so I decided to ride my "new" Catrike up there and throw it in the back of the truck for the return trip.  I stuck a temporary ham radio tracker on the trike and took off.
Even though it was a bit warmish today, it was a great 3-something miles.
Then, when I got it back to the office, I finally broke my trike-chain and added about 6 inches to it so I could access all 27 speeds (27 or 21?  I'll have to count the cassette gears to make sure sometime). 
Of course, in spite of careful sizing and measuring, I couldn't get the chain done in one operation.  I found it was now a bit too long, allowing chain drag, in the largest gears on each end of the chain, so I had to take one pair of links out and now it seems to work just fine.
Of course, on my trial ride, I realized the front shifter cable was frayed down to one or two strands, almost snapped in two, and until I get THAT fixed, I still can't access all my gears.
No biggie, I carry various lengths of shifter and brake cable in my pannier tool bag.  I'll do it tomorrow or maybe over the weekend.  I worked on it until well after dark and I'm tired.  Maybe Manana.

Ride Started: 3:41 PM    Ride Ended:  4:33 PM
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  3.8
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
  6.3 MPH                             8.0 MPH                    19 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
  47 minutes                          47 minutes                 0 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment