Thursday, September 1, 2016

Oh, Boy, A New Bike

(No tracking yet since I don't have electronics installed yet on 2 new pedal-pushers)

I bumped into a nice fellow at the recent Duke City Hamfest who told me he had a Catrike for sale at a very reasonable price, which as you know I wound up buying after a few more days.  Then I bought a couple of ham radios from him.  While handing the radios to me from his well stashed garage full of goodies, he showed us a Folding Bike, which I thought was cute but not desirable.  A few days pass by, THEN I got the itch to see if the Mission President would allow me to buy the folding bike for general use here at the office.
"General Use" meaning, of course, MY personal convenience.
See, I'm the Mission Vehicle Coordinator.  I try to keep 85 vehicles running, repaired, and in good order.
With 160 or so teenage drivers of all these vehicles it's inevitable that we have crack-ups and fender-benders, and we keep the body shops busy here and in Las Cruces and El Paso.  Usually this means I do a lot of shuttling vehicles back and forth to repair shops, and for most of our mission until now, it has normally involved both Jacque and I, or another male missionary, to follow in another vehicle back and forth to these shops.  Here in Albuquerque none of these shops is more than maybe 6 miles at the outermost, and some are even within safe bike riding distance on lesser traveled streets.  Now, with our new Handy Dandy Dahon Folding Bike, most of my service shop runs can be a one-man operation.  I rode it yesterday to my first repair pick-up, and the vehicle was a Toyota Corolla, and the bike folded sufficiently to go into THAT tiny trunk opening.  My hope is that if it will fit in there it will fit in ANY of our many cars.
I'll post a picture of the new fun utility toy in the next day or two.
I was pleasantly surprised how fun and comfortable it is to ride the 20"-wheel gizmo.  It has some sort of shock absorbing seat mount so it's not a crotch-buster at all, unlike most upright bike seats.
Yesterday Jacque and I decided to ride separately, on our own trikes, about a quarter mile across Jefferson to a nearby business with a HUGE grassy back lot that the doggies LOVE to run, roll, and play in.
This was a non-calorie burning short trip that was a very enjoyable interlude anyway, especially since the dawgs like it so much. 
I still have no electronics that work on my new Catrike (almost installed, but not complete yet) , so no mileage or other GPS data for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment