Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Stretching the Trike Chain

TTT (Today's Trike Tracking
My recently-purchased Catrike had one glaring shortcoming:  It was set up for the original owner who was much shorter than I am.  The front boom is extendable and easily extends to a length sufficient to accommodate my long spindly legs.  However, since the front sprocket and cranks are out on the end, the chain stretched to its limit and - though still ridable - it was only able to access the smaller of the chainrings and, in the second or middle chainring, the rear derailleur was only able to be shifted to its smallest 2 or 3 gears or the chain would lock up.  The largest chain riing could not be engaged safely at all, meaning I was limited in cruising speedonn level paths.  All I had to do was break the chain and add a few inches so the chain could reach all possible gearing combinations, but for some reason our volunteer Church mission work eats up so much time, and though I could easily just take a couple hours off to do it, the phone keeps ringing and ..... well, last Friday I finally stole enough of my free donated time back to work on the chain.
As noted previously, as soon as I tried out the new chain and shifter possibilities, the front chain shifter froze up from too much fraying of the cable and sleeve housing.  Yesterday, Monday, I was finally able to do the "Manana" thing and got the cable adjusted and tightened so it could now engage all 3 front chainrings.
Then the phone started ringing again and I had to put out a few small fires, so to speak, and it was late afternoon before I was able to actually take it for a spin.
It's pretty cool to actually get into the tallest gears and crank along at a decent speed, and the little trike does well, except for the tendency to oversteer as common with lightweight trikes.
I only rode out a couple miles and back, since I didn't even change into my bike shirt nor remove my tie.
Still a fun ride and looking forward to getting the electronics installed for more gadgetry.
My temporary tracker used on the last few rides provides only spotty information and so it doesn't show max speeds and such for bragging (or complaining, in my case).
Ride Started: 1:25 PM    Ride Ended:  2:20 PM
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  5.8
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
  6.3 MPH                             8.0 MPH                    18 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
  55 minutes                          51 minutes                 3 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment