Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Tuesday on a Roll

Tuesday Tracking Trail

I awoke at 5 after 5 AM this morning but loafed in bed until 5:07 or so and then got up for a ride.
It was just after 5:30 when I got rolling and the wind was a wee bit cold and stiff this morning.  Heading north on the "North Diversion Trail" planted me face into the wind, which not only slowed me down but chilled me as well, in spite of my wearing a decent windbreaker most of the way.
I looped again around the Vista Del Norte neighborhood   The first few times I rode this neighborhood it seemed quiet and seldom traveled but lately it seems almost crowded, and a couple miles of the 'hood are narrow streets with no shoulders.  Passing cars come uncomfortably close, so I doubt I'll try this one any more in the future.  No really close calls;  just a bit tight and uncomfortable for a leisurely before-dawn ride.
This actually seems to be either a popular commuting or exercising hour since I normally pass several other cyclists, pedestrians, and dog walkers even though it's dark and cold.
By the time I had looped back north up to Osuna I was warm enough it was starting to get sweaty in my armpits, which is not pleasant in cold weather since it provides discomfort from the perspiration as well as the chilling effect as the sweat is exposed to the air.   I pulled off my windbreaker and sat on it, riding the rest of the way 'home' with just the Velcro-front-secured flaming yellow tee shirt Jacque stitched up for me several years ago.
I again left my GoPro safely behind so no danger of pictures or videos from today' adventure.
I talked to a friend on the bike ham radio yesterday who told me he was "too old to ride bikes any more".
Of course I had to argue with him on that point, not the least of which points is that I was a few years older then HE was.  I recommended him to go down to Two-Wheel Drive just west of University on Central and test ride a few of his recumbent trikes and see if it didn't give him the "itch" to get going again.
In another week or so most of my rides will transfer to the higher altitudes of the East Mountains, with occasional forays into ABQ involving longer distances.

Ride Started: 5:39 AM    Ride Ended:  6:42 AM
Beginning Battery Voltage:   13.2   Ending Voltage: 13.1  Lowest:  12.9
Lowest Temp  53 F      Highest Temp:  53 F  
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  6:34
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
   5.8 MPH                             6.6 MPH                   15.5 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
1 hour 5 mins                         57 minutes                8 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment