Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Riding after Dark-Thirty

Today's Surprisingly Poor Tracking via APRS and Ham Radio

I decided to ride late this evening.  I thought I had time to get around my favorite loop before it got completely dark, but of course this is mid-September and the days are getting ever shorter..... and the sun set about 7 PM, just about the halfway point of my ride.  There was still plenty of light.... for a little while.
I have a good headlamp on my helmet and bright blinkies on my behind-side, but it is worrisome encountering cars coming up behind me, hoping they will give me sufficient clearance even though all they can see is my red blinkies flashing.
Thankfully, and surprisingly, the going-home traffic had dropped off noticeably, so that was a small comfort.  The road has fair shoulders, but they are encroached upon  by weeds and detritus, so I actually pulled over once or twice to allow cars to pass before I resumed riding.
Made it home OK, but I must be more careful of the time.  I don't mind so much riding in the dark, but dealing with car traffic in the dark..... those days are behind me.

Ride Started: 6:22 PM    Ride Ended:  7:41 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:   13.8  Ending Voltage: 13.0  Lowest:  13.0 
Beginning Blood Glucose:  162   Ending BG Reading: 51 
Lowest Temp  67F      Highest Temp:  71F   
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  9.33 
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed  
7.1 MPH                                8.5 MPH                  30.9 MPH 
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time 
1 hour 18 mins                      1 hour  6 mins           12 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment