Saturday, September 16, 2017

Taking Longer than Expected

Today's surprisingly detailed tracking

I decided to ride the other direction around the "neighborhood" that was similar to what I rode last week.
It was only a dozen or so miles, so I assumed I had plenty of time to complete the ride, get some chores done, and go to Albuquerque to meet Jacque for dinner.
Howsomever, I got rolling a bit later than expected, and the ride took a bit longer than expected.
It was after 1 PM when I started and I foolishly thought I would take only a couple of hours.
It can't be that I'm really starting to get older and slower, but it took longer today and I had to take a few more breaks than usual.
The trip through Gutierrez Canyon Road is always enjoyable, even though it has some long climbs.  The traffic count is low and slow and the drivers are used to seeing cyclists and tolerant of us.
I don't know if I mentioned before that I replaced the 2 front tires on the Catrike, since some wear and cracks were beginning to show on the previous ones.  I haven't noticed any difference in the ride with them so I cannot blame slowness on newer tires.  Shucks.
Getting across I-40 to Old Route 66 showed the nice wide shoulders 66 has for this stretch, but there was all kinds of sticks and rocks and assorted small obstacles in the shoulder.  I made it a point to slow down and throw or flick most of it off the roadway, which obviously was a factor in slower progress.  I even spotted a large piece of 2 X 12 lumber about 18" long in the driving lane of the roadway, and I parked and walked out there to throw that one out of the road too.  I may not ride this way for a long time in the future, but if I do, it will be easier riding and other cyclists can ride less stressfully in the meantime.
Eventually I topped the hill at the Sedillo overpass, and needed to use the bathroom, so I patronized the ever-expensive "66 gas station" there and bought an ice cream treat as well.  Gas costs more there than likely anywhere else in the state, and the selection of snacks and food is always limited and today was no exception.  I was able to find an acceptable ice cream snack on a stick, after a bit of poking around in the almost-empty freezer.
From that point on towards completing the  loop  toward home, much of it was downhill and the remaining hills were not objectionable.  I got home in time to get a much needed shower.
I still made it to Albuquerque on time do dine with my sweetie, but I had to hustle a bit to do it.

Ride Started: 1:05 PM    Ride Ended:  4:05 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:   13.4  Ending Voltage: 13.0  Lowest:  12.5 
Beginning Blood Glucose:  80   Ending BG Reading: 144 
Lowest Temp  71F      Highest Temp:  84F   
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  15.25 
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed  
5.2 MPH                                7.1 MPH                  35.3 MPH 
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time 
3 hours 1 min                        2 hours  17 mins       49 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment