Friday, July 5, 2019

Pleading the Fifth (of July)

Troubles on the ride pedaling around the area is nothing new, but I experienced a few added ones today.
I chose to ride out again to the western-most ramp to US 60 and ride east from there to the Route 95 crossing to enter the middle of Mountain Grove for the return leg home.
As I pedaled across the tracks and around the square to head west on the main drag, I noticed some dark clouds building up.  Previous experience convinced me this meant I was going to get wet soon, so I decided to go out to the airport instead and shorten the ride by coming back along Clouse Street.
Howsomever, by the time I got that far, the clouds had cleared out, leaving a fairly clear sky.
Thus I proceeded with my original plan and soon I was up on 60, again picking truck tire scraps off the shoulder as I rode.
This stretch of 60 between the exits is only about 2 miles so it wasn't long before I was entering Mountain Grove again.  I was getting tired and powerful thirsty so I rode over to Walmart to get one of their 50 cent diet sodas from the outside vending machine.  After chugging the soda and cooling my feet for a bit, I resumed the ride home.
As I coasted downhill I was alarmed to feel the trike pulling strongly to the right.  At first I couldn't see anything amiss, but a few hundred more feet revealed the right front tire sagging.  It was sagging so badly I feared I might not make it home without having to air it up with one of my CO2 cartridges.
I did barely make it home, but the tire was by then very flat.  I normally  just install a new tube rather than patching the injured one, but I'll check this one closely to see what punctured it....
Maybe one of those blasted truck tire scrap wires finally got to me.
Sagging Tire BAH!

Then, after I got home, I checked my radio GPS track and found it had not been working.  So I have a few repairs to do before I ride again.   Riding is a lot more fun than Repairing. Oh Well.

Ride Started: 9:21 AM      Ride Ended:  11:00 AM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.1   Ending Battery Voltage:  13.0 Lowest Voltage:  13.0
Beginning Blood Glucose:   137   Ending BG: 107
Lowest Temp:  78 F    Highest Temp:  82 F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:  7.40
Distance Walked: 1/2 mile
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
  4.5   MPH                           6.1  MPH              24.6 
MPH
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped Time
 1 hour 39 
 mins                 1 hour 12 mins        27 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment