Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Shopping via Trike Transit

Today's GPS/Ham Radio Tracking

I took yesterday off the trike since I was still a bit tired from that days' 16 mile ride.
I also was a bit sunburned on previously unexposed upper knees that have been previously fishbelly white in texture.
Trying to get going a bit earlier to avoid the heat, it was still 9-something by the time I got rolling.  The temperature wasn't too bad and the humidity was just a bit over 50%, dry for this country.
The ride to Walmart was uneventful except for a pickup cutting me off turning directly in front of me going into Walmart.  Good brakes prevented anything bd from happening and I was able to go inside and spend some money unimpeded.
I tried to turn my GoPro helmet-cam on for the return ride, but as usual, the battery died with a bleep-bleep-bleep within 20 or 30 seconds.
No big deal.  Made it home safe and sound, as usual.

Ride Started: 9:16 AM      Ride Ended:  11:05 AM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.2   Ending Battery Voltage:  13.0 Lowest Voltage:  13.0
Beginning Blood Glucose:   97   Ending BG: 157
Lowest Temp:  75 F    Highest Temp:  84 F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:  5.12
Distance Walked: 1/2 mile
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
  2.9   MPH                           5.0  MPH              17.0 
MPH
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped Time
 1hour 47 
 mins                   1 hour 1  min        46 minutes

Trouble is, I noticed my right "junk pocket" was entirely empty.  I was looking for the two GoPro batteries I'd taken, fully charged, for the ride.  I'll have to stop using these side-leg pockets when riding in future.  In spite of their velcro flaps, this isn't the first time I've lost something from them while riding.
I had a chiropractor appointment at 1:00 so I rode the trike over there, as far as possible following my morning route to see if I could find the batteries.  No dice the first third of the way, where I had to detour right to make it to the doctor's office in time.
When I exited the bone-cracker's office it was starting to get just a wee bit cloudy.  I rode back to resume the re-ride looking for my pricey batteries.  I watched closely and fruitlessly all the way back to Walmart, where I'd thought I had first noticed the empty pocket.
By now it was REALLY getting dark and cloudy and, though I was hot and thirsty I decided to forego my planned soda break from the outside machines at Walmart.
As I rode the reverse route toward home, it continued to get darker and more threatening.  
I Might get WET...

As I bottomed out at the base of the long hill toward home I found one of my missing batteries:  A bit ragged looking and evidence of bouncing along the pavement.  About 300 yards further, I found my second battery, this one with tire tracks on it and a bit flattened from being run over.  I haven't yet tried to test them, but likely they are both ruined.
I was worrying while chugging slowly up the hill about when it was going to start raining when a bright flash of lightning ripped out toward the west.  About 3 seconds later a HUGE thunderclap arrived, meaning the lightning had struck a bit more than half a mile away.  This put a bit of motivation into my pedaling in spite of my fatigue and  feet hurting.  A dozen or so thunder-rumblings later, along with just a bit of sprinkling rain, I arrived in our driveway to find Jacque gone. As I looked at my cell phone I saw I had 3 missed calls from Jacque.... my phone was still on silent from the doctor visit and I had forgotten to turn the ringer sound back on.
Of course, when I called her, she was out somewhere in town looking for me, alarmed by the water-works.  I assured her I was home safe and mostly dry.

Second Ride Started: 12:38 PM      Ride Ended:  2:19 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.0   Ending Battery Voltage:  13.0 Lowest Voltage:  13.0
Beginning Blood Glucose:   157   Ending BG: 84
Lowest Temp:  78 F    Highest Temp:  78 F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:  5.78
Distance Walked: 1/2 mile
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
  3.4   MPH                           6.4  MPH              16.7 
MPH
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped Time
 1 hour 42 
 mins                  54  minutes          48 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment