Friday, July 12, 2019

Still Able to Work Sometimes

Today's GPS/Ham Radio Track

On Wednesday this week we stopped at Sam's Club in St. Louis.  It was a huge store but lacking several favorite items we normally stock up on.  We did spot a Fiskars Extendable Shaft limb-cutting saw for less than forty bucks, though, and brought it home with us.  Yesterday evening I released it from its plastic covers and put it to work.  Or more precisely - Put ME to work.
I've seen these boogers before but never used one, and I was surprised to find the saw works on the back-pull, making it easier to work with, especially overhead.
I cut several large and small branches from an offending tree in the front yard, from a tree that had a large broken limb sagging down on the telephone line coming into our house.
The new limb-saw worked great but it was slow going most of the time, with frequent breaks.

We thought surely my arms would give me trouble for the next 24 hours, but it was my feet complaining the most, and even they cooled off after an hour or so.

This morning I again took off for my currently almost-daily trike ride.  I didn't go that far, but as always, it was great to get out and get the blood circulating.
After the first couple of miles I stopped to check my blood glucose, as I was getting a bit spacey.
I had just eaten one of Jacque's  yummy breakfasts and I assumed my glucose would be reading high.
I was mildly shocked to find it low, at 57.  I'm supposedly not supposed to get below 100 or so.  I must have pumped too much insulin for breakfast, so I took a rest break in the shadow of a church parking lot tree line and ate a cookie snack out of my pannier.  A few more minutes of nice shade and I was on my way again.
I turned on to a road I had repeatedly seen but never before tried:  "Industrial Park Truck  Bypass".
It was a shorter trip than I thought but the pavement was pretty good compared with the ones I've been riding lately.

Ride Started: 10:14 AM      Ride Ended:  12:11 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.0   Ending Battery Voltage:  13.0 Lowest Voltage:  12.9
Beginning Blood Glucose:   100   Ending BG: 120
Lowest Temp:  71 F    Highest Temp:  75 F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:  4.46
Distance Walked: 1/2 mile
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
  4.9   MPH                           6.9  MPH              23.9 
MPH
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped Time
 54 
 minutes                        39 minutes            16 minutes

1 comment:

  1. also trimming unruly tree branches, have been getting out early and working until it gets sunny and hot or I poop out whichever occurs first. four days so far and not done yet. having to use the tractor to pull them out so I can cut them into manageable size to haul to the burn pit

    ReplyDelete