Saturday, July 6, 2019

Riding is More Fun than Repairing

Today's GPS Tracking

I had a slow flat as I rolled into the home yard yesterday.  My ring gear shifter was not letting me shift to the highest gear.  My brakes were dragging.  My radio was intermittent.  I needed to adjust the length of my trike boom.
Thus, instead of ignoring problems like I'm so prone to do, I simply had to do some basic repairs before riding again.
When I staggered out to the garage last night I  was shocked to find my REAR tire totally flat also, even worse than the right front tired that I worried about on the way home yesterday.
ANOTHER Flat
I got those two tires repaired before going to bed last night.  I had two extra new tubes, but rather than using both of them I opted to patch one of the tubes instead of throwing it in the trash.  I found I only had one patch left in my little bike kit, so I need to replace that for future emergencies.
I carefully examined both defunct tires and tubes.  I could find NO nails, pins or needles (or holes) in either tire.  The tubes were a different story:  When inflated outside the tires, both exhibited a very small but effective pin-hole.  Finding nothing in the tires that could have caused such a thing, I was forced to conclude one of those nefarious hair-thin wires from all the truck tire pieces scattered along the major roads must have been responsible.  The tires were both still fully inflated this morning, so I'm convinced that was the cause of the flats.
Then "all" I had to do was adjust the boom length, repair the radio wiring, adjust the brakes, and lube and adjust the gear ring shifter.  After a rest break and letting my feet cool off from all the standing, I had to take a "check ride" to see how it all worked.
Jacque has been working for the past 3 days sewing  a pair of cycling shorts for me, and she finished them just as I was about to leave.  So I changed into them and gave THEM a "Check Ride" too.
Custom Shorts by Jacque
The new shorts worked better than the trike did.  My high gear still was too difficult to work and the replacement radio wiring was no better than the original.
I decided to ride Clouse St. out to Bell Crossing at the local airport, then go north to the US 60 frontage road, then follow that to the main east-to-west street (Business 60) back to the village square and home.
I received several "high fives" and encouraging beeps from approaching motorists until I finally remembered the GoPro camera on my helmet and turned it on,  Of course, while the camera was running, absolutely nothing interesting happened....

Ride Started: 11:50 AM      Ride Ended:  12:59 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.0   Ending Battery Voltage:  13.0 Lowest Voltage:  13.0
Beginning Blood Glucose:   137   Ending BG: 72
Lowest Temp:  78 F    Highest Temp:  82 F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:  5.81
Distance Walked: 1/2 mile
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
  4.7   MPH                           6.9  MPH              26.1 
MPH
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped Time
 1 hour 13 
 mins                 51 minutes            23 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment