Monday, February 17, 2020

Today: Pea Soup Riding

Today's Soggy Route via GPS and Ham Radio APRS

Today dawned foggy, drizzly, and not too enjoyable.
It was warmer - according to the thermometer - but it was so wet and nasty it was hard to enjoy.
We awake at 5 AM for teaching our Early Morning Seminary class, and though it wasn't raining by definition, the fog was so thick and wet that it splattered us in the face and got us wet when we took the dogs for a walk before leaving the house.  No ice, thankfully, but water water everywhere, and fog so thick we could only see a couple dozen feet ahead.
The sun did not show its face today.  Actual rain was forecast for the afternoon, but around early afternoon the slushy mist had actually stopped, and though it was still very poor visibility, I didn't get wet walking twixt the house and the garage. 
SO, I decided to try another trike ride for the exercise and mood elevation etc.
If I wait for sunny warm days my pedaling will be limited indeed in this country......
I assured Jacque that if I did start getting wet or soaked at all I would turn around and head right back home.  But nothing of the sort happened.  I DID appreciate my fenders as I rolled along very wet streets....
Thank goodness the rain forecast didn't materialize and we only had the morning drippy fog.
No cars passed me when i was near shallow street puddles, so I didn't get soaked by that method or any other.
I only wore my thin bike-yellow-visible windbreaker since the temperature was bumping 50, and it's easy to get overheated when chugging along.  Toward the first mile, I unzipped most of the windbreaker, and for the last mile, I totally unzipped it and still got a bit warm as I headed for the house.
I usually get funny looks from the gentle brethren when I ride around town, but I got even funnier looks today for some reason.  Who wouldn't want to ride in such soup?
Many folks around here like to leave their dogs loose outside, and they often come roaring out from behind a fence as I go by.  So far none have actually tried to bite me, just try to get close and scare me.  Hopefully I don't encounter one I have trouble outrunning....
I took my usual boring route around the paved streets surrounding Mountain Grove since I wanted to be able to streak for home if the fog started leaking again.
All things turned out hunky dory, even without blue sky and sunshine.  I'll have to try this again..

Ride Started:   3:51 PM      Ride Ended:  5:01 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.7  Ending Battery Voltage:  12.9   Lowest Voltage:  12.5
Beginning Blood Glucose:  65      Ending BG: 126 
Lowest Temp:  50 F    Highest Temp:    53 F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:   6.71
Distance Walked: .6 mile (Dogs!)
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
  5.6 
MPH                             7.2 MPH               19.9 MPH 
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped  Time
 1 hour 10 mins
                    56 minutes            14 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment