Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Gone With....the Wind?

                                                        Took Lilly for a ride Saturday...


Friday 15 April Tax Day Tracking 

Saturday 16 April Tracks

 Monday's Multiple Short Loops

 Tuesday (Boring) Short Ride

Wacky Windy Wednesday Tracking 

I guess I've AGAIN been kinda lazy about logging all my  trike pedaling recently.  At least I HAVE been riding, even if I've been slack about blogging it.
I have noticed recently that my blood glucose drops markedly even after or during my "short" rides around the neighborhood, so I try, weather permitting, to get in a few hundred yards or so at least every day.
I often ride even when the weather is not sunny and warm, since when it's cold I can layer up and put on my mittens, face mask, and such.  Plus after a few hundred yards I tend to get warmed up and often have to unzip or even remove a "layer" to stay cool enough to be comfortable.
So most of the listed "tracks" above are such squeeze - ins.
Yesterday we spent most of the day traveling to and from the Temple in St. Louis, but we got home with a couple hours or so of daylight left, so I was able to stretch my legs after that almost 7 hours sitting in a petroleum powered car by taking a short trike ride.  The long trip was well worth it, but what a relief to stretch my legs by pedaling around a bit.
This morning, Wednesday, I had a pedicure appointment with Wally at out local California Nails salon.
The weather forecast was for nasty, cold and windy.  When we awoke it was pouring rain and not looking good.  Jacque was all set to drive me there and back, but like most of the world, we too have  goofy weather.  About an hour before my appointment, the rain stopped and the clouds started thinning.
The current professional weather guess was for high winds, but who cares about that?  As long as I didn't get soaked I figured I could deal with wind.  At my back, it helps me along.  Hitting me face - on
would make more work pedaling, but exercise is part of the appeal, right?  Right.  Maybe.
I made it there with a few minutes to spare for my appointment, and the clouds were actually starting to part with nice sunshine peeking through, but the wind was whipping up and the clouds overhead were making curious paths in the sky, making me wonder it they were going to start circling, which makes the weather guessers (And US) worry about "severe storms" including tornadoes.
Well, nothing serious happened.
As I walked across the parking area, a nice lady who was leaving in her car yelled at me "Is that your ride?"  Of course I nodded yes, and wanted to get a closer look to see if it was someone we knew, but I was running too close to being late for my time slot and had to scoot on into the facility.  I suspect it was the Mom of one of our Church Primary class kids.  Whatever.
While Wally was doing his magic on my crummy feet, the wind was obviously getting stronger outside.
By the time I left, the wind was positively howling.  And, of course, it was whipping back and forth, but stronger and longer in the opposite direction I needed to get home.
I don't remember if I've ever had to use such lower gears riding on normally straight and level streets.
I didn't actually have to use "Granny Gear" but I was only a couple of gears above that for about half the ride home.  Extra huffing and puffing for sure.
I'm unsure if I've previously mentioned I'm now on anti-seizure pills.  An undesirable side effect (at least during the day) is that they make me unusually sleepy.  Yawning and trying to stay awake most of the day, except of course while pedaling the trike.
An unbeknownst benefit is that my foot pain is dramatically reduced, and especially at night while in bed.  Prior to these expensive pills, I had to sleep with burning diabetic foot pain, often  waking up to rub them or get up and walk around a bit to lessen the pain.  Now they  just basically don't hurt at night, though they still get tired easily and early when standing or walking.  A great side effect that isn't mentioned in the "literature".

Ride Started: 9:12 AM           Ride Ended:  10:51 AM 
Beginning Battery Voltage: 13.0   Ending Battery Voltage:  12.8
Lowest Temp: 50 F Highest Temp: 53 F
Beginning Blood Glucose:  150   Ending BG: 110
Stats from the GPS: Total Miles:   4.42
Overall Average Speed      Moving Avg       Max Speed
 2.62 MPH                         6.5 MPH            24.2 MPH
Total Trip(s) Time             Moving Time      Stopped Time
 1 hour 40  mins               41 minutes         1 hour

2 comments:

  1. Well, at least SOMETHING good comes from those expensive pills! I just hope they accomplish the good they are supposed to do, that is keep you from having anymore of those 'episodes'. If they do that AND help ease the aching feet, they probably are well worth the $$$!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So Sorry to respond to your kind comment so late in the game. I just noticed there WERE several comments and then had to figure out how to read and respond. Thanks!

      Delete