Thursday, August 11, 2016

I Go A-Exploring

Today's New Tracked Route

I decided to ride North on Jefferson this morning, since it was six-ish and I assumed the traffic would be sparse. WRONG
I made it up to the Journal Center intersection without incident, but since the traffic was SUPER heavy, I bailed off  Jefferson to get back to the bicycle trail.  Tiburon is marked as a "Bicycle Route" so I took that around.  I wound up on the El Pueblo frontage road which was wide enough for cars to get by me but no marked bike lane.  (Later the same day I spotted some cyclists riding on the BIKE path along the same route.  As per usual, it's not well marked so I missed the route during MY ride.)
Thankfully the traffic here WAS sparse, and I rode on over to the railroad crossing where the North Diversion Trail bike path intersects, and rode onward toward the Railrunner depot.  I noticed, again, a turnoff at Las Lomitas and decided to see how far I could get taking that route southward - back toward the general direction of the mission office where we work.  This passes through a huge newer neighborhood I had ridden through some years ago, and I knew there was a long paved ramp somewhere back toward the North Diversion Trail that I could use to get back if I needed to.
There are literally hundreds of new houses and apartments now iin this area, and the street I was on continued to go sorta in the right direction, so I kept following it around until I finally stopped and looked closely at my GPS display to see where to go next.  Turned out the street I was on eventually leads to Osuna, which is now wide and supposedly bike-friendly, and goes within a half a block of the office.
So I kept riding, without incident, enjoying a never-tried route and some wonderfully cooler August weather.

Ride Started: 5:37 AM    Ride Ended:  8:35 AM
Beginning Battery Voltage:   13.0   Ending Voltage: 13.0  Lowest:  12.7
Lowest Temp  64 F      Highest Temp:  77 F 
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  7.95
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
   6.2 MPH                             7.5 MPH                   18.1 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
1 hour 16 mins                       1 hour 3 mins             13  minutes 

No comments:

Post a Comment