Saturday, August 20, 2016

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished...

Today's real-ride Tracking

 Today was a Saturday, and an unusual one at that.  We had NOTHING planned for the day other than laundry and getting ready to go back to the Mission Office tomorrow after Church.  Thus my plan for a bike ride actually materialized today.
My renewed goal has been to ride every day at least for a short ride to improve my A1C levels to keep my doctor happy and keep me healthy longer.
Today's ride was twofold:  Exercise and checking the ham radio harness to make sure it still worked.  I have one just like it on the tandem Terratrike 
that recently stopped transmitting, and the spare harness I tried to install also would not transmit.  So now I know the harness works and no dark magic has done them both in, I can safely order another replacement.  I guess.
I did my favorite around-home 10 mile ride out east to Mountain Valley Road, loop around Entranosa, and Back-Home ride today.  As I turned north on Mountain Valley I noticed a new sign at the gate of a neighbor's house that I admired greatly, enough to stop and photograph:
This appears to be a wooden sign with Laser-Etched graphics.  I need to stop in and find out where he got the sign....
Our new neighbors-to-be, the Schmutz Family, has been working like beavers building their own house on vacant land they recently purchased.  Their property is just north of this sign maybe 1/2 mile or so, and as I saddled up and rode on I was passed by a slow-moving concrete truck.  Knowing the Schmutzes were still pouring foundations and floors, I suspected the truck might be headed to their place, and as I crept up the gradual grade in too-low gears, my suspicions were realized.  The truck had pulled intto their lot and was already pouring concrete.  This family seems to have no slackers amongst them;  they were ALL bending over the concrete forms, mucking concrete into various corners and generally working their tails off.  Girls, boys, young and younger, all worked with a will and were covered with concrete dust and splatters from head to toe. 
Here is Lydia, Roo, Dad Steve, Bobby, and a cousin or so.  The guy on top of the concrete chute is the boss-man barking orders to all to pull here, do that, grab a shovel, etc.
I wound up helping hold the concrete chute for a while, and of  course within a few minutes I too was splattered from head to toe with cement muck , in spite of my minimal participation in the project.
The pour finally ended and I was able to resume my less-cumbersome ride back home.
Before I got to the bike my emergency phone rang a couple of times with missionary emergencies including flat tires and CD players that stopped working.
A fine day for a ride, indeed, even if I didn't come home clean.  I rarely do anyway.

Ride Started: 10:08 AM    Ride Ended:  1:04 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:   13.0   Ending Voltage: 13.2  Lowest:  12.9 (Solar Panel WORKS today)
Lowest Temp  71 F      Highest Temp:  87 F 
Stats from the GPS:    Total Miles:  10.67
Overall average speed            Moving Avg               Max Speed
   4.4 MPH                             7.8 MPH                   29.9 MPH
Total Trip time                       Moving Time             Stopped Time
2 hours 26 mins                     1 hour 22 mins           1 hour 4 minutes


No comments:

Post a Comment