Thursday, May 28, 2020

Thank God for Grandma.... Gear

Today's Shopping Trip Route

I exhausted myself completing another remodeling project today:  Cutting another hole in the roof, installing a vent pipe for the new bathroom ceiling vent, and screwing everything down tight with waterproofing caulk.  THEN putting all the blasted ladder, cords, and tools away.
I had thought I was too tired to do a trike ride today when Jacque mentioned she needed some items from Walmart,  thus shattering my resolve to take the rest of the day off.
I volunteered to take the trike and trailer for the shopping spree (big order of cheese and a Watermelon - without the Watermelon I prolly could have done without the trailer)
I must have overdone the exertion quotient working on the roof and bathroom ceiling, since my Blood Glucose measured a dangerously low 47 just before I rode away, and this after eating a couple of yummy cookies trying to get the BG back toward normal.
So I forced another couple of cookies down and rode away  in splendor.
I was shocked, SHOCKED, to hear a loud crunch and clatter when I go out on the main drag of Highway 95 going north.  I didn't know what had fallen but it sounded important, so I pulled off the side of the road into the grass and stood up to see.  It was my CAR KEYS lying in the wheel-path of all oncoming traffic, and I had to wait for THREE cars to pass before I could retrieve them.
For some reason nobody ran over them, in spite of their precarious positioning where they fell.
Thankful I am they didn't.  Who knows what kind of damage a weighted tire / wheel could have done to them.
I've dropped many things before, but this is the first time the keys had popped out of my pants pocket.
I realized I still had a fat tape measure in the same pocket, from my work project, and perhaps it had crowded the pocket sufficiently to ease the keys outward and onward.
After putting the tape measure into one of my saddlebag pockets, I had no other narrow escapes.
Thankfully.
The bike trailer is not much weight nor effort to pull behind, especially when it's empty.
However, after I strapped the plastical bag containing the several-pound-weight watermelon, I DID notice a bit of increased pedaling effort, and especially going uphill even at a slight grade.  Going the home route involves several small and uncomfortably large hill climbs, and I wound up making frequent use of "Grandma Gear".  For the rare unaware, "Grandma Gear" is the absolute lowest gear, with the smallest gear engaged up front, turning the absolutely largest gear on the rear sprocket for maximum power and minimum pedal-power climbing said inclines.  Makes for slow progress but helps save the lungs and feet slaving away faithfully.
The forecast had called for rain and thundershowers at the time of my excursion, but though there were several black and threatening clouds overhead, no rain interfered with me.
I was saddened to pass a recently-scrunched BEAVER lying in the middle of the road, evidently struck down while trying to cross the road to the other end of the small stream crossing under the road.  We see all kinds of critters in these parts, but beavers are not often spotted.  Poor Guy.
Made it home safe and sound again.  God is Good.

Ride Started:   2:25 PM      Ride Ended:  3:30 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.6  Ending Battery Voltage:  13.0   Lowest Voltage:  13.0
Beginning Blood Glucose: 47   Ending BG: 143 
Lowest Temp:  75 F    Highest Temp:    82 F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:   5.15
Distance Walked: .7 mile (Dog Potty Trips)
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
  4.9 
MPH                                7.3 MPH               16.4 MPH 
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped  Time
  1 hour 2 mins
                      43 minutes           20 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment