Friday, May 1, 2020

And So It Goes...

Yesterday's Tiny Ride Route

I haven't been logging much about my rides recently, mainly since they're so repetitive and unremarkable.
Riding around is still fun and great exercise, but I often doubt any readers finding intrinsic value in them.
Riding ALSO greatly improves my blood glucose management, requiring much less insulin pumping to accomplish reasonable BG levels.  A major motivation for this aging diabetic.
In a town as small as Mountain Grove, biking and triking makes a lot more sense than staring up an automobile to burn gasoline and oil and rubber to pick up shopping items at a store a mile away.
UNLESS, of course, the weather gets mucky, which is often the case here in the Garden of Eden in Missouri.  The abundant greenery exists and thrives because of so much moisture and rain.
A couple nights ago we'd had a rather lovely day followed by sudden clouds and wind and a tornado warning, resulting in our spending almost an hour or so in the wet basement waiting for the sirens all-clear.
So this trike trip involved making a run to take some old clothes to the donation point at the local CHC (Cabool Home Center) lumber store parking lot.
Even a little ride like this is great for lifting my mood and getting a bit of fresh air...
As I turned on to a street, I could see a fellow in a  wheelchair about a hundred yards ahead and he was vigorously waving at me.  Thinking he wanted to stop and talk, I stopped and we talked when I got up to his position.  He was not very old, perhaps a teenager, and his legs were shriveled.  We had a pleasant but short visit, said our goodbyes, and I pedaled along my way.  He seemed impressed with the trike and commented how much faster I could ride than his electric wheelchair would take him.
Another of MANY reasons to count my blessings...  I wish I had caught the guy's name.

Ride Started:   5:45 PM      Ride Ended:  5:55 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage:  13.5  Ending Battery Voltage:  12.9   Lowest Voltage:  12.9
Beginning Blood Glucose: 178     Ending BG: 74
Lowest Temp:  59 F    Highest Temp:    60 F
Stats from the GPS:  Total Miles:   1.42
Distance Walked: .6 mile
Overall Average Speed       Moving Avg          Max Speed
  5.5 
MPH                             7.7 MPH               15.5 MPH 
Total Trip Time                   Moving Time        Stopped  Time
 15 minutes
                         11 minutes           4 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment