Monday, December 28, 2020

A Few Miles Around Town

 Today's "Short Cut" Route Tracking

I actually have ridden a couple or so times  this last week, but evidently failed to log any of it here in the blog.  Oh Well.

This year's craziness has resulted in weird "holidays", evidently world wide.
We didn't do anything for Thanksgiving, as Jacque was so beset with aches and pains we agreed to eat basic food and abstain from her usual hours of slaving over a hot stove cooking up turkey and goodies all day.
Christmas Day was a different story, since we enjoyed Jacque's cooking skills making up for the absent Thanksgiving feast in November, with the postponed turkey and pie and trimmings for 25 December instead. 
The food was hot and scrumptious in spite of the coldest weather we've had so far this winter.  Christmas was celebrated with an outside temperature of 10 degrees when we woke up and only a few degrees warmer all day.  MERCY.
We also had a whopper of a rainstorm somewhere just before Christmas, which helped keep me off the trike, though I did get out for a couple of short trips with lots of layers, Bass Pro Winter Socks, warm mittens, and face mask etc.
Today, 28 Dec, was quite a bit warmer at about 35 degrees when we got up and not too much over 40 all day.  The sun was obscured much of the morning but finally poked out and shone without warming things up too much.
BUT there was no rain threatening and I was set to find an excuse for a trike ride.
When Jacque mentioned she had a prescription waiting for her at our local Big Box Store, there it was:  My Excuse.
The last time I did this trip, the Pharmacy was closed until 2:00 PM for "Lunch Break".  To make sure I didn't have to stand around waiting for half an hour like that trip, I wanted to get there no earlier than 2 PM.
Of course, with my dawdling and last minute fiddling around, it was several minutes AFTER 2 before I even pedaled off.
I took a slightly different route this time, thinking I'd not only shorten the miles but avoid having to cross Route 95 at its busiest intersection:  McDonalds and Country Mart across 95 from each other.
In about 20 minutes I arrived in the Big Box Neighborhood, and chose to shop for some cabinet hardware at Davis True Value Hardware first. 
This place is like a candy store to yours truly, and I wound up spending almost an hour there, what with trying to find what I wanted and general looking around at all the goodies.
Then I zipped over to the biggest Big Box Store and got my stuff there.
By the time I rode back toward home it had REALLY started feeling cold.  I was glad to have 3 layers of upper shirts on as well as the skull cap protector Jacque made me a while back.
I passed a familiar sight on the way back:  Tree trimmers in action.  They are definitely needed here where HUGE trees seem to grow like WEEDS, and threaten nearby houses.

If you watch closely, you can spot the guy in the boom bucket almost 100 feet up in the tree


No problems, though.    By the time I got home it was after 4 PM.  I was mildly surprised to see my "shortened" route added up to over 6 miles, instead of my usual 5+ mile trip.
Still, another ride, another day:  Mood enhanced and blood glucose lowered, even with lowered insulin dosage.

Ride Started: 2:02 PM           Ride Ended: 4:01 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage: 13.7 Ending Battery Voltage:  12.8
Lowest Temp:   38 F Highest Temp: 50 F
Beginning Blood Glucose: 118    Ending BG: 180
Stats from the GPS: Total Miles: 6.26
Overall Average Speed      Moving Avg       Max Speed
2.9 MPH                              5.9 MPH            16.7 MPH
Total Trip Time                    Moving Time      Stopped Time
 2 hrs 7  minutes                 1 hour 3 mins       1 hour 4 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment