Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Granny, It's COLD Outside

Today's Tracking - The Usual Route 

We needed a few more items from our local Big Box Store, so again it was a good excuse to go for a trike ride.

Which was no big deal except it was COLD.  Colder than yesterday, with a bit of a frigid breeze to help things refrigerate.
I opted for 2 inner layers for my upper torso (Sweater, denim shirt over that), as well as my beat-up insulated mechanic's overalls.  I should have opted for a pair of heavy socks as well, but didn't.
I wore my face mask Jacque made for me, and it worked well.  Insulated mittens did a good job for my hands.
I hadn't realized how worn-out the coveralls were.  The legs let in a lot of cold air through various holes and openings, leading me to contemplate shopping for a newer set.
Got to the store without incident, found one of the increasingly rare small carts, and found the items desired.  Approached the pharmacy to pick up Jacque's prescription only to find it locked with all the windows closed.  Eventually saw a small sign stating the Pharmacy Hours stating they would be open M-F until 7:00 PM.  Sigh.  Found an even smaller sign stating the pharmacy would be closed until 2:00 PM so the Lone Pharmacist could partake of Lunch.  My clock said it was 1:30.  BAH.

I was the first in line a-waiting at the closed window.  As the sacred 2:00 hour approached, I realized I wasn't going to make it without a visit to the potty. 
When I returned, the pharmacy was finally open... with 6 people in line in front of me.  Thankfully they took care of enough for me to gain access.  Other than the pharmacist having trouble spelling the name right, all went well.
When I got back to the parked trike, I was feeling a bit ditzy.  I dragged out my blood glucose tester.  It refused to work;  giving only a "LoT" message on the display.   After trying a few more times I gave up, thinking the battery must be low.  I snarfed two cookies (just to cover my base in case my BG was low) and took off.
When I got home my BG was 70, after the cookies with no extra insulin pumped.
Hooray for cookies.
When I tried to see what was wrong with the glucose meter, it was working fine.
I now suspect the instrument was too cold to give an accurate reading; thus the "LoT" response.  Whatever.
One promise I'm sure to keep:  I don't mind riding when it's cold.  But if things get ICY I will leave the trike in the garage.

Ride Started: 12:56 PM           Ride Ended: 2:51 PM
Beginning Battery Voltage: 13.5 Ending Battery Voltage:  12.9
Lowest Temp: 32 F Highest Temp: 40 F
Beginning Blood Glucose: 133    Ending BG: 70
Stats from the GPS: Total Miles: 5.33
Overall Average Speed      Moving Avg       Max Speed
 3.1 MPH                              5.9 MPH            22.9 MPH
Total Trip Time                    Moving Time      Stopped Time
 1 hour 41  mins                   54 minutes         47 minutes


 

No comments:

Post a Comment